• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do your beliefs affect your everyday life?

Starfire86

Registered Member
I suppose my one constant bit of "dogma" would be unconditional love and acceptance, so no, my beliefs don't interfere with meeting new people, dating, etc.
Everything changes, I experience something new everyday in regards to how I relate to other people and my spiritual practice. Everyone has something to teach, even if they don't realize they're teaching. I would be a fool not to listen because someone's ideas are different than my own.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I have no religion at all and believe that there is no God. I respect people who do and all the different religions but I myself do not. So that doesn't effect me at all. The only belief I have is that humans are going to destroy the planet beyond repair, possibly much sooner than we think and all that does is make me depressed.

Duckbang

Registered Member
1) Friends wise anything goes really. You just need to steer clear of certain topics with the more fanatical ones.

2) Dating wse, whatever they are they just can't be religious. They can have the label or whatever, but I just won't really get on with them on that level if they're really into it.

3) Generally I'm quite happy to let them think/do whatever they want as long as they aren't trying to convert me.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
1) meeting someone new, is it important they have the same beliefs for you to consider them a good friend?

2) in dating, is it important he/she have the same beliefs? How would your family react if you were (example) Jewish and wanted to marry a Christian or Muslim?

3) Do people who believe in very different beliefs than you intimidate or anger you in any way?
Friendship has nothing to do with religion, but with personality. I can befriend people who are not of my faith, it just doesn't happen since I don't come across others of different faith where I live.
Dating - has to be of the same faith, I wouldn't even bother getting to know someone just for the sake of dating, cause it can always lead to something more serious.
People of different beliefs than me, are just different, they do not intimidate or anger me.

SlowburnDarkly

Registered Member
1. No, a person's beliefs do not matter to me as long as they don't break that line of respect. Most of my friends are atheists or borderline atheists, but one or two are Christian. I can get along with most people as long as no disrespect is given.

2. It does matter a little more in relationships, but I could still date a Christian girl. That just doesn't matter to me if we have enough in common and we have good chemistry. I've had fights with girls before because of me simply stating how I feel about religion or whatever, though. I feel like religion should be discussed in a civil manner without one person feeling attacked when the other person has a different viewpoint. Really, a person just needs to be able to accept that I don't believe as they do. If this is accomplished, I have no problem with it. I'm not going to reject a person based on their religious beliefs unless they try to get in some sort of religious debate with me-- then I'm gone. I believe what I believe, you have that same right, and we should be able to respect each other.

3. Well, as I've previously mentioned, I fucking hate religious debates. "I'm right!" "No, I'm right!" That goes nowhere. I can get pretty pissed off at people that just can't accept that I believe what I believe, so I don't get angered by someone else just for believing differently. Just let me hold to what I feel to be correct and I won't bother you. I'm not intimidated by anyone else on this issue.

Yeah, kind of went on a rant there, but whatever.

viLky

ykLiv
1) meeting someone new, is it important they have the same beliefs for you to consider them a good friend?
No, sir. Ever since becoming an Agnostic it's not really a big deal. I sort of developed a mini-hippy in me that is like "whatever, man, that's cool.". Much more open now rather than... um... not close-minded, but rather put off somewhat. :eek:)
2) in dating, is it important he/she have the same beliefs? How would your family react if you were (example) Jewish and wanted to marry a Christian or Muslim?
Again, I'll support you if you are religious or not, it's not really a big deal. I have no problem supporting you in what you believe and just being there for you. HOWEVER, I don't want none of that sneakiness where you try to have be do certain things. I understand why you're doing it, and I love ya for it, I'm just happy where I'm currently at.

3) Do people who believe in very different beliefs than you intimidate or anger you in any way?
Some. There is this one guy who I worked with who was very anti-gay. The usual, "if that fag touches me, I'll knock his teeth out.". That typical mumbo-jumbo. Hey, I have no problem with you not agreeing with the gay/bi lifestyle, but to threaten and verbally lash out is annoying. Even when I was a Christian that annoyed me. Now, as an Agnostic it annoys me even more considering that it says not to judge in The Bible. Of course, it also says to stone homosexuals. Then again, it says Shall Not Kill. Hmm... the reasons I've became an Agnostic in the first place. ^.^;

All in all, I get a long with religious people in my day-to-day life. I just get a tad annoyed if they feel it's needed to threaten violence if it goes against what they believe. I dunno, I just want to pat them on the back and tell them
chill out, calm down, it'll be all right.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
A little less controversial topic, but I am curious to hear from individuals of different degree's of faith or beliefs about how what you believe possibly affects your daily life.

Things like:

1. No. I have friends from various religions, also pagans and atheists.

2. Depends. I have tried dating someone who is an atheist. While normally I didn't think it would matter, he was the anti-religion type (which is different from just not believing in a diety). His attitude over my beliefs and traditions turned me off a bit. I still dated him but I knew I would not be marrying the person. It's just not possible to live with that kind of intolerance.

3. In general no. But there are some that annoy me when they push religion too much or turn any casual conversation to praise God.