Do your beliefs affect your everyday life?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Ilus_Unistus, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

A little less controversial topic, but I am curious to hear from individuals of different degree's of faith or beliefs about how what you believe possibly affects your daily life.

Things like:
    1) meeting someone new, is it important they have the same beliefs for you to consider them a good friend?

2) in dating, is it important he/she have the same beliefs? How would your family react if you were (example) Jewish and wanted to marry a Christian or Muslim?

3) Do people who believe in very different beliefs than you intimidate or anger you in any way?

Anything along these lines you can think to add would be nice.

For me as someone who does not have any faith in any religion, meeting people who do have a faith do not bother me as long as they do not push their religion on me. Discussion is fine but I do not want anyone who I would consider to be a good friend to look down upon me because I do not have a faith.

Dating, I would not mind dating anyone of any faith as long as he knows I am right he is wrong... lol (kidding) But again as long as they were not pushy or looked down on me. My sister actually has been dating an American Christian for the past 2 years and after finishing University has intent to move to the USA to settle with him there. My family does not approve but I think this is more about location than religion.

I am not intimidated by people of any faith as long as they are for discussion and not debate over who is right who is wrong.

2. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

I don't know anyone that has the same beliefs as me, at least in person, and even the few I've come across with some similar beliefs over the internet don't share all of mine. So that said, it is not important that someone have the same beliefs as me, at all. As for dating, I'm not looking or very interested, but I guess would consider it if someone came along. I don't care what they believe, but chances are anyone following a Abrahamic religion will not date me over what I believe when they found out. So I guess in that way it affects what people I can date if I want to....

Different beliefs don't bother me, just when they are overly preachy or loud and annoying about it. Sometimes uncomfortable, when they talk about their views on things I feel completely different about that attack my character based on belief, although most people don't realize if they are even doing it......

3. PhoenixOverdrive

PhoenixOverdrive Registered Member

Like Sonnilion, the moment it becomes an attack on my character, I don't take shit from them. Someone looks down on me because I don't follow their path, then I make sure I run all over their ego. There was one man who wanted to preach to me and my friend and told us there isn't a sin anyone old enough hasn't committed in their lifetime. He named the commandments and ask us if we'd broken them. I told him 'No' when he got to 'Thou shalt not steal'. I said I'd never stolen anything from anyone in my life, not even as a child, and even he could tell it was the truth. That shut him up a bit.

To consider someone a good friend, they need only three things. They need to be interesting, they need to be open-minded, and they need to be there, if they can, if and when I need them. I've become good and great friends with people of every major religion, so long as they weren't afraid. In my opinion, if you freak out when someone challenges your faith, it's because it's not strong enough, and you're not worthy of calling yourself a (insert religion here). Most people who were kind enough to bear with me have been questioned on every angle about their beliefs, and it's so jumbled that they're uncertain about things. Still they keep their faith and see it as a chance to learn new things.

It's those rare individuals who truly deserve to be part of their religion. And I admire them.

In dating, well, I like to have my freedoms, minus what's expected when you're dating and/or committed. If I have to follow religious rules, then I'm out. If it's irrational and doesn't adhere to my own moral code, I'm out.

People with different beliefs don't intimidate me. Ever. I listen, appraise, go through the motions. If it makes any kind of sense, I can try on new beliefs and see things from their perspective. It's important to be flexible that way. But if they try to shove their faith down my throat, they're in for a world of trouble. I can bake the most hardened fanatic change their mind about things.

The only thing that angers me is when the justify stupid or inhumane things with their faith. THAT is when I get pissed off.

4. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

When I believed in Christianity, it was a fairly large part of my life. It affected the decisions I made, and the actions I took.

I had friends who weren't Christians, but obviously it gave me something in common with other believers.

I never dated, but if I had, it would have been with someone who believed.

5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Not at all. They can believe in whatever they want as long as they are not extremists otherwise it would affect our friendship.

I have never really dated but again, if religion didn't play an important role in my partner's life then it wouldn't be a problem for me.
    I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind me dating someone of another religion if he didn't force me to convert into his religion.

No. They don't anger me. In Albania we have people of all kinds of religions and this country is known as one of the most religiously-tolerant countries in the world.

So far, religion has nothing to do with my everyday life.
    Actually, I don't really belong to any religion. I'm just a believer.

6. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

No, not at all. If I let their world view affect how I viewed them or treated them, I'd be going against my own world views and values. Everybody is loved by Jesus, and so the least I can do is love them as well regardless.

My "religion" or rather my world view/spirituality does affect my dating choices. Ideally I would like to marry someone of the same religion as me. It makes things easy, because neither of us would have to work as hard to see each other's point of view. Hence why I'm searching for my future wife at church =P. But if a gal came along that shared similar values to my own and could accept some of my values that differed than her own, I would nix a possible relationship simply because she didn't subscribe to the same religion.

It only angers me when they have an "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude about it. If they respect my point of view and can discuss them intelligently, and make intelligent rebuttals, I have no problem interacting with them.

7. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

is this correct? or did you mean would not?

8. ArchiDe

ArchiDe Registered Member

Well i must say it DOES,,, at least most of the time ,,,,
    Specially in the close relationships ,,, coz being with someone whose believes are opposite to yours ,, will make nigther of you comfotable,,,,
    in matter of friendship,,, i think there's no problems in that what so ever,,,

9. Sim

Sim Registered Member

As agnostic, it doesn't really affect my everyday life or interaction with others when they have particular religious convictions, and I certainly don't reject them as friends because of it. Although most of my friends are indeed agnostics/atheists ... but one good friend of mine is a Jewish believer, another is Muslim. As others said, as long as they are not obstrusive or look down on me for my lack of belief/wrong view, I don't see a problem with their convictions. It can even be interesting when they tell me about their ideas, convictions and traditions that are alien to me.

As for dating: When she has a different religion, this is not a problem in general for me. In the past, I had a relationship with a believing Catholic woman and also went to church with her, but she respected my views as I respected hers. We didn't really speak much about that. And I once had a very heavy ... flirt (it wasn't really more) with an Egyptian-Arabic born Muslim woman. It was very important for her I would share her views eventually, because if I didn't, she wouldn't go further. And that's why it didn't go further eventually: I read a lot about Islam, not just for her, but for genuine curiosity, but eventually found I cannot become Muslim and that it would be a lie if I pretended to do so, just for her.

So dating with a believer of any religion is not really a problem for me, but I think certain views she holds, regardless if it's because of her religion or because of others reasons, might be an obstacle. For example, I could not date a woman who supports neo-Nazi views or sympathizes with islamist terrorism. And if it becomes really serious, I don't want to raise my future kids with a woman who indoctrinates them with religious dogmas from early age on.

I wouldn't mind having kids with a religious partner who teaches our kids religious basics and ideas in a non-dogmatic manner, including religious education classes or church activities or such, though, as long as she would allow me to teach our kids my own ideas (or rather, my rational skepticism and doubts) at the same time, for that the kids learn to know different views and at some point become capable of making up their own minds. Just like bilingual education works well when each parent speaks with the kids in their respective language, religious education could work that way as well, I believe. Eventually, the kid should decide which path to follow, and it would be ok for me if my kid took another path than me.

But that's just theoretic anyway at the moment, because my fiancé holds similar views as I do (atheist, but not hostile against religion in general either).

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

1. I have friends who are both Christian and non-Christian. What's more important to me is their moral code. I probably wouldn't be good friends with someone who does things that I'm strongly against.

2. Yes, it is very important. My family wouldn't care, but I care. I wouldn't date someone who isn't Christian.

3. No, people's differing believes don't intimidate me in any way. Sometimes they can be disappointing or even frustrating, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they anger me.

Do my beliefs affect my everyday life? Absolutely. Certain aspects of my life have changed quite a bit since becoming a Christ follower.