• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you wish you were born in a planned society?

viLky

ykLiv
'Planned society' as in planned career and spouse.

I can already sense the majority answers to this thread being "No, I love the freedom of choosing my own destiny/fate, career and spouse." But, allow me to make an argument that might convince you otherwise.

With being born in a planned society your life is already chosen for you. This has it's pros as well as cons. Some of the pros being:

For relationship:

o-- A planned marriage where you'll be committed for life. Perks: companionship
o-- Sex. Perks: Sex
o-- Stability. Perks: Knowing that when you get home somebody will be there for you

For career:

o-- No stress looking for a job since yours is already planned out.
o-- Steady income.
o-- No stressing out about what you want to do in life and/or what path you should follow.

A question if you want to answer:

1) If given the choice, would you have preferred to be born in a planned society? Why or why not.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Absolutely NOT!

Individual freedom and liberty are some of gods greatest gifts next to life itself. Don't waste the opportunity to live YOUR life. Not all enjoy that opportunity.

SlowburnDarkly

Registered Member
At times, I do wish I were born in a planned society, at least when it comes to a career. I've been working since I was sixteen, with security being the profession I've spent the most time in. I've had a million different jobs, though, and it's frustrating skipping from thing to thing and going through periods of looking for a new job, especially with things being as bad in my city as they are currently. Right now, I'd love a guaranteed lifetime profession and a guaranteed paycheck to come along with it. That is just stability that I have never had.

The whole planned marriage thing would be horrible for me, though, since I tend to end relationships after a certain point anyway because I just want to be alone.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I could go along with your arguments if I didn't know WHO or WHAT and at least there would be some kind of unknown. Definitely I like choice, but moreso I like the anticipation of not always knowing what's next.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I would prefer I think to be miserable and make my own choices, good or bad than to be confined by society to say I will do this job or marry this person and have no choice.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
For relationship:

o-- A planned marriage where you'll be committed for life. Perks: companionship
o-- Sex. Perks: Sex
o-- Stability. Perks: Knowing that when you get home somebody will be there for you
All these are great pros...if you actually like the person who you're married to. If, however, you get on like fire and ice (read: not one fucking bit) then you may as well be up shit creek without a paddle. Or a boat.

For career:

o-- No stress looking for a job since yours is already planned out.
o-- Steady income.
o-- No stressing out about what you want to do in life and/or what path you should follow.
This I could actually get behind, if I were allowed to change my career at any time. I do not particuarly want to do the jobs I am applying for. But until I get my foot in the door of the IT industry, they will have to do. Chances are if, one day, I was offered a job as a trainee computer technician, I would go for it in a heartbeat, regardless of what job I may or may not have at that time.

So overall, no, I'd probably not live in a planned society.

Starfire86

Registered Member
Freedom of choice is definitely appreciated, but sometimes I think it might be easier to just live in a predetermined life.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Who does the planning? Is it government? Hell no.

Is it people who know me and care for me who made the decision as I grew up? Maybe (but probably not)

NoMoreHotDogs

Registered Member
With that argument, it sounds very tempting, but I still would rather choose my free will. What if I didn't like that particular spouse, or that particular career? I would be stuck with it forever in a planned society; even if I didn't have to, it would probably be looked down upon by society in general. I would just rather live and learn on my own accord.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Considering my life? Yah, I would have loved to have grown up in a society where my was assured a wife I could love, and a job I could work at. There's always time to pursue other interests outside of your working hours. Life would be WAY easier if I didn't have to make my own decisions, and could instead rely on the decisions of other to guide me through. How much more braining could I do, if I didn't have to worry about planning my future?