• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Do You Watch Shows Out of Order?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Do you ever watch TV shows out of order? Obviously for a lot of sitcoms, or cartoons like the Simpsons etc it doesn't really matter what order you watch them in, since they were designed that way.

Recently though someone told my girlfriend to start watching Dr Who in season 5, then work backwards.

I thought this was really strange, since a lot of the bigger picture would be lost, and many things wouldn't make sense.

When it comes to shows with a continuing storyline I have to watch them in order, or I won't watch them at all.

How about you?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Generally, no, I hate watching shows out of order, even shows that don't necessarily have continuous storylines. I have done it before though. I watched season 4 of the Sopranos before watching the first three.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I hate it! I absolutely refuse to watch shows out of order that have an arc. Stuff like The Simpsons or Two and a Half Men don't have a whole lot of continuity between episodes so I'll catch reruns and not miss anything. I could never watch something like Walking Dead, Lost, or Doctor Who out of order unless I was re-watching.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I'm the same as Doc. I absolutely HAVE to watch the episodes in the order they were intended to be watched. To me, it's absolutely no different from reading a book from the middle chapter to the end, then going back and reading it from the beginning. Makes NO sense.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I also hate how some shows (Firefly, Star Trek) will air episodes out of their intended order. There's entire websites on the original intended episode lists for these shows.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
As a rule, I don't like watching shows out of sequence either. But it has happened that I maybe missed a show, say like CSI for example, and start watching the second season and then go back to watch the first season. At the very least, I could never watch episodes out of sequence. If a season is too deep in the story, I would have to make some plan to watch it from the start and not just jump in the middle.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only time I will watch shows out of order is when I've seen them and want to watch some of the episodes again. When it comes to comedies I'm more likely to do this because some episodes are way funnier than others.

If its a new series and I miss the first few episodes I'm not likely to start watching in the middle of a season unless again its a comedy.

Elanor

Registered Member
If I am watching a show for the first time, then I prefer to watch it in order. But, I have been known to watch something from a random season to see what it is like, and then go back and watch from the first season. I did that with Boston Legal, it happened to be on one day so I watched it, loved it and then bought it on DVD.

Once I know something really well I will pick and choose the episodes I want to watch, if I am not re-watching the whole thing.

dDave

V.I.P.
If it's a show like Seinfeld, The Office, Top Gear, etc. then it won't matter at all to me. I realize that sometimes they'll reference something that happened in a previous episode or they'll continue a sub plot but generally it doesn't bother me to watch out of order on shows like that.

I don't watch a show like LOST or Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. out of order, it would bother me too much. If a show is story driven then it's essential to watch in the right order.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I try not too but whenever I started watching Parks and Recreation it was season 4 and it was on TV and my sister said it was awesome so I just started watching it.

So I didn't have a chance to go back and watch the others...I did later on though. So I don't care but my preference would be in to keep it in order I guess.