Discuss Do you vary the type of books you read?

Elanor

Registered Member
I am not very experimental when it comes to the sorts of book that I read. I tend to stick with what I know, often re-reading books that I know I like.

I have recently delved into detective/thriller books and have discovered a series I really like, so I am now going to make more of an effort to read new genres.

Do you read anything and everything? Or do you prefer to stay in your comfort zone.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If I'm going to read a book it will be horror or science fiction. I tried reading a few romance novels but just couldn't get into them.

I will read articles on many different things like diseases/medicine, science, archeology but not a whole book.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I read High Fantasy almost exclusively for leisure reading, I will also occasionally read a political thriller (The Hunger Games is included in this genre I believe). I don't find mystery to be very interesting and nonfiction is just really boring for me most of the time. While I enjoy sci-fi, I think it's much better on screen. There's just something about fantasy that really attracts me to read a lot of it.

I also read political books such as things by Bill Oreilly and Mark Levin.

Abrams

Registered Member
I read EVERYTHING! Every genre. Fantasy, Science-fiction, documentary, history, science, criminal, biographies, memories, adventure... sometimes even romances (guilty pleasure).

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I tend to stick to fantasy books myself as well. 90% of the books I read and loved were all fantasy. I have wondered away from that genre now and then, and sometimes liked what I came across. But I am a picky reader, so it has to be a really good book (to me) to get my interest away from fantasy.

I tried reading 50 Shades of Grey, which I guess is supposed to be romance? Exotica? Who knows. I doubt the author knows what she was going for. It was rubbish and I couldn't get through half of the first book. So I won't even try that genre again.

I also tried a mystery novel recently, but it bore me to death. Pun intended.

There have been books outside the fantasy genre that I loved a lot though, so it's not unheard of.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I've hardly read anything for the last 4 to 5 years, which is a shame. I think I've really missed out on some great stuff. In fact, I know I have.

Having said that, when I was reading I would often split my attention between comics, fantasy and sci-fi. I've never really branched out beyond that.

Elanor

Registered Member
I also tend to stick to fantasy. I am working my way through the Discworld books, think I am on about 15 or 16 read and there are still quite a few to go. Some I have read more than once as I love them. And anything LotR or Harry Potter I am happy.

The thriller series that I read and like is written by Mo Hayder called The Jack Caffery Series. They are quite gory, but they are well written, and you can tell that the author has done her research.

I steer clear of romance, even though I am broadening my horizons, they don't need broadening that much!

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I usually stick to fantasy. It's definitely my favourite genre, and it's also the genre that I write most. I've always enjoyed it and it really appeals to my imagination, ever since I started reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels as a young lad. That, along with another series of books (called the Shannara series) which is also fantasy fiction, has always been my inspiration for books and for writing.

I very rarely other genres, but not very often. I read the Twilight series, and those are some of the only romance books that I've read. Not that I'm against romance, and in fact I sometimes enjoy a romance element to the books that I read (Philip Pullman's Dark Materials are a great example of this) but I wouldn't be able to cope with romance being the sole genre...

I also tend to stick to fantasy. I am working my way through the Discworld books, think I am on about 15 or 16 read and there are still quite a few to go. Some I have read more than once as I love them. And anything LotR or Harry Potter I am happy.
I approve! I love the Discworld novels; Terry Pratchett is one of my favourite authors.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I usually stick to fantasy. It's definitely my favourite genre, and it's also the genre that I write most. I've always enjoyed it and it really appeals to my imagination, ever since I started reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels as a young lad. That, along with another series of books (called the Shannara series) which is also fantasy fiction, has always been my inspiration for books and for writing.

I very rarely other genres, but not very often. I read the Twilight series, and those are some of the only romance books that I've read. Not that I'm against romance, and in fact I sometimes enjoy a romance element to the books that I read (Philip Pullman's Dark Materials are a great example of this) but I wouldn't be able to cope with romance being the sole genre...

I approve! I love the Discworld novels; Terry Pratchett is one of my favourite authors.
You read Twilight? I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on it.

I have not read Discworld or Shannara, I've at least heard of Discworld though.

The cool thing about Fantasy is that there's so much variance that can go into the genre to create very different stories and worlds. I think experiencing a fantasy world is my favorite part, I like to imagine myself actually being there. There's something in that genre for everyone though.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
You should give them a go, Dave. Terry Brooks and Terry Pratchett both do an amazing job at creating a world that you can immerse yourself, and both worlds are developed as the books progress, which is really cool.

As for Twilight, it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it and it wasn't the terrible series that everyone dubbed it. Not the most amazingly written books I've read, but not the worst either. I'll probably re-read them at some point too, so I suppose that says enough about what I think of them. :hah: