• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you use Siri?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
This question is for all iPhone S users. Do you use Siri?

I never used to use her much for anything other than a quick laugh, but since I updated to iOS7, I've been using her more. I think I underestimated all her functionalities, but now that I know, I try to use her more. She doesn't always understand my accent though, which can get annoying.

Do you use her or is she a useless function you could easily do without?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't really use her all that much to be honest.

I know she's got some good features (not in a sexual way) but I don't utilize them for whatever reason.

dDave

V.I.P.
The only thing she is really useful for is making a call when I'm driving in a tight spot, I never really get into that situation though.

I just feel awkward using voice commands when it's actually faster for me to just do it with my hand.

Oh, and I have my Siri set to Australian accent because it sounds awesome. :D

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
My sister in laws Siri is also set to the Australian accent. I might try it for a while to see if I like it. I had to teach her how to pronounce my name. That was a lot of fun!

Zenheizer

needs practice
I like Siri, she's pretty good to me. Updates tasks, makes calls, sends texts, checks the weather, makes simple Google searches, tells me what time the game is on, etc.

I can't complain, I'll probably get a Samsung phone next summer so I'll check how Google Now does it, supposedly better. Voice commands are good though, I thoroughly enjoy the speech recognition.

danwiz

Registered Member
After watching an acquaintance try to use it at one time I have never even enabled it on my iPhone 5, so NO, I don't use it.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Did this acquaintance maybe also struggle with getting Siri to understand him/her? I found that very frustrating in the beginning and that was my reason for not using her in the past.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have used it from time to time but mainly when I have got nothing better to do. I am however impressed by what it can do. The biggest thing I was impressed with really was the fact I could say to it "play tony hancock" and it will find the fact I have episodes of Tony Hancocks show on my iphone and start playing them for me. I know that in the advert it shows it doing it but there was always part of me that thought "yeah but does it actually work", I am impressed it does.

dDave

V.I.P.
Did this acquaintance maybe also struggle with getting Siri to understand him/her? I found that very frustrating in the beginning and that was my reason for not using her in the past.
Some accents are more difficult for Siri to understand than others, this is a limitation with the software.

I have used it from time to time but mainly when I have got nothing better to do. I am however impressed by what it can do. The biggest thing I was impressed with really was the fact I could say to it "play tony hancock" and it will find the fact I have episodes of Tony Hancocks show on my iphone and start playing them for me. I know that in the advert it shows it doing it but there was always part of me that thought "yeah but does it actually work", I am impressed it does.
I think it all comes down to knowing the exact words to say, almost "Siriese" if you can call it that. I know you can tell Siri to start stuff like that but don't you feel kind of stupid when you do it? I know that I sure do. I very much prefer to quickly do it with the touchscreen instead of voice commands.

danwiz

Registered Member
Yes, idisrsly, this acquaintance was struggling with getting Siri to understand him - that was the reason I have never even tried it. It was just ridiculous (and funny) seeing how frustrated he was getting because Siri could not understand his British English!

I suppose that I should actually try it myself one day when I am extremely bored and have nothing better to do, but as somebody else mentioned - I also feel slightly silly talking to my phone!