• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games Do you use a gaming mouse?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've been playing PC games for years but never really had the desire to have a special mouse to make my gameplay better.

Does anybody here use a special gaming mouse? If so, do you think gives you an advantage? Right now I'm just using a 2 button (w/ scroll wheel) wirelesss mouse. It works fine for what I use it for including games.

I might be getting a new mouse soon, however, and I thought maybe I'd look into one of those highly sensitive gaming mice since I also do a lot of graphic design on my PC. The increased sensitivity would be beneficial to me anyway and probably worth the extra money.

Any thoughts?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Never spend more than $50 on a mouse, unless you really have way too much money to blow. But other than that, high sensitivity mice are the gear.

TaskForceTiny

Hell yeah I do - I use the Logitech G5 Laser Gaming mouse.
And it rocks. Hard.

Before I go on though, Scubasteve has a point. If you do not have the money to blow, then there is no need - gaming mice do not increase your gaming skill. Period.

Well I'll try and keep this short:
The G5 that I use, comes with a little metal case that carries little 'weights' so you can change the physical sensitivity of the device. They fit into a little cartridge that you slot in underneath the mouse. I've got my heaviest weights in the mouse to stop me from over-scrolling in BF2142.
There is also a button on the mouse that allows you to change the pointer sensitivity in-game, during WHATEVER game you are playing. This becomes useful (BF2142) when you move from on foot to vehicle mount or AA. I found it quite frustrating that the turrets move so slow, so I up the sensitivity with the click of a button - and the turret spins around in a heartbeat.
It's also great for flying, as you don't have to move your mouse off the pad to make a sharp turn.
So I suppose rather than increase skill, it just makes things a little easier. It gets rid of the little annoyances that whingers like myself can't handle :D .

Money - yeah it cost $160.00(au), but I had come back from a work trip overseas where I was paid a poo-tin of money. I also bought the G15 Gaming keyboard to go with it, but if I start talking about that, I'll be here for the next week.

I would recommend it if you invest alot of time into games and are willing to part with about $100 u.s. dollars (I think thats the right conversion?).

Go on, get it.... :lol:

Regards

Tiny

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thanks for the info TaskForce. I haven't really shopped for mice in a while and I had no idea that some of the better ones were $160+....

I suppose you are right that it is probably an awesome mouse but there are a few other things for close to $200 that I've been meaning to buy lately. I don't think I am going to spend quite that much for a mouse.

Are there cheaper non gaming mice that are highly sensitive? I just have a basic Logitech right now but I definitely like the brand. I'll look for a Logitech before going to another company right now.

TaskForceTiny

Yeah, there are a couple of alternatives:

You could try the 'Razer Diamondback' mouse. It's an optical gaming mouse with close to 2000dpi (I'm pretty sure). It costs about $100.00(au) so that would probably be around sixty bucks U.S.

Other than that, I guess the only things to consider, if you are buying a mouse with the intention of using it for gaming are the following:

1) Don't buy a wireless mouse. I didn't think there would be a difference, but once I switched back to a USB mouse, I noticed a massive improvement in response time.

2) If you buy a 'laser' optical mouse, make sure you buy a decent mouse pad to go with it. Stay away from shiny surfaces, that could possibly reflect the mouse laser - that's all bad news for gaming. If you don't have a decent mouse pad to go with it you may as well be using a 'ball' mouse.

3) Not all games are compatible with USB mice - but don't let that put you off - that is just poor device support by fault of the game. FIFA Soccer 06 was an offender of this, and apparently there are more!

4) Stay away from the Microsoft mice. Most are overpriced, and are intended for purchases by the less knowledgable generation of users. Logitech deliver the best quality at high prices, while Razor and other third party brands offer good prices for mid-range devices.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Tiny

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well my main use is graphic design and normal computer use. I'm not a serious enough gamer to care exclusively about response time, which is why I have been perfectly happy with my current wireless optical mouse.

I've never been a fan of Microsoft mice so that's out of the question anyway.

I'm basically looking for a mouse with a few extra buttons that I can use for gaming and as shortcut keys in Photoshop and other programs I use on a day to day basis. 2000dpi would be ideal as well.

Is the Razer Diamondback available in wireless or only corded?

TaskForceTiny

Unfortunately the Razor isn't avail in wireless.

If wireless does interest you though, Logitech have one, it's called the 'G7 MX Revolution'. It has a very sharp response time, but only 800dpi resolution. This is still ok for gaming though, and this mouse shines in a different area anyway.
It has a sensitivity selector, TWO mouse wheels and comes with a docking port. The main mouse wheel can spin for up to seven seconds upon one decent flick of your middle finger! This makes the mouse ideal for navigating large files and improves the overall navigation of all non-gaming programs.

This is also the BEST looking mouse I have ever seen.

Unfortunately I can't rememeber the price, so you should google it.

Otherwise there is the Razor Copperhead, and I know this is under seventy bucks U.S.
It has seven programmable buttons and a resolution of 2000dpi. Maybe this would be the most practical option for what you need it for?

I suppose in conclusion, both are great devices, the G7 looks better, but the Razer is more practical and probably better on your wallet.

Have fun now!

Tiny

dDave

V.I.P.
I have a gaming mouse but the only reason that i have it is because it's high sensitivity and it was only like $20 I dont' actually use the extra buttons on it but they do come in handy in firefox for the back and forward functions, I didn't even have to program it in it just came that way.