• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you trust the food industry?

Danno

Registered Member
Slightly random question, but do you have trust in the food you buy? From the supermarket, from takeaways, anywhere really. We all need to eat so that doesn't leave us with too much choice anyway, but really do you always trust what you are eating is what it says on the label? Is there any food you don't trust at all or are you not to bothered by it either way?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
No I don't trust the food industry, every time you turn around there is something being recalled because its making someone sick. Even if your getting it from a restaurant you never really know whats going on in that kitchen, how clean the employees are, did they wash their hands.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
No, I don't really trust the food industry, or at least the big food corporations that use chemicals and GMO's in their products. I think products that contain GMO's should be labeled as such.

Taliesin

Registered Member
It's a double edged sword. Like Danno already said, we've gotta eat so that doesn't leave us much choice... well, not unless you start trying to grow everything yourself. That wouldn't be easy because modern city life isn't really geared towards having the time to devote to something like that. You can't work full time and be able to run a miniature farm!

Clare

Registered Member
Interesting question. I suppose I don't have complete faith either but like it's been said most of us don't have much choice in the matter - even if you don't live in the city it's really hard to be completely self sufficient.

So I don't worry about it because there would be no gain to that. I do wonder whether some things are labelled honestly though - like fresh fish for example, you pay a premium for Australian caught fish here but it seems like it would be pretty easy to import some cheaper fish and then put the Australian caught sign next to it. For the most part though I like to believe I'm eating what the label says I am. Haha.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I try my best not to buy processed food. I'm not a huge health nut, but I try my best to eat food I consider real. So when I go to the store, I'll buy things I can actually see. Loaves of bread, a head of spinach. A roast. I don't buy canned shit. Aside from like pizza pops or chicken nuggets, all the food I buy needs to be cooked on the stove. I don't trust the conglomerates.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I guess I do trust them.

I say that because I never think about any of this stuff. I just buy what I like and that's it.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I guess I do trust them.

I say that because I never think about any of this stuff. I just buy what I like and that's it.
Pretty much the same here. I do eat foods that are better for you than I used to, although I know someone could point to it and say "it has this" or "it's made with that", but I really don't think about that stuff. I buy what I like but keep my fat content in moderation.