• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Xbox 360 Do you think the XBOX brand is overhyped?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ok, XBOX was cool when it first came out, but while the 360 is fun, it's nothing more than the original with better graphics. Live has a few new features, but when it really comes down to it, the other consoles are being far more innovative than Microsoft was this time around.

Take Wii for example, and the "power wand" or whatever the controller will be called. That's duck hunt innovation of the new millennium ladies and gentlemen.

PlayStation 3 will feature games on Blu-Ray discs, which will hold 50 GIGS+ (approximately) of physical game engine and graphic data. Meaning the games potentially can be 10-20 times the size of any XBOX or Wii game.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
In their defense, Microsoft did have the X-Box Live Marketplace, the achievements system, and the first with fully wireless controllers; not to mention the wireless adapter, and it comes with both HDTV and SDTV. They have had their fair share of innovation, of course, which is why it's so hard to decidew ether iwant another one or I'm going to wait.

Spinlock

Registered Member
I guess the question is, which form of innovation do you want? That power wand thing could be great... but remember the power glove? And putting PS3 games on Bluray could be the greatest thing since sliced bread... but will I the developer be able to use that much space within the next couple of years? :-o I don't know about you, but 20 hours of FMVs just isn't that appealing to create.

qwerty98765

I think the Xbox is a great gaming system. However, I think Microsoft is putting the screws to gamers with the 360 NOT being backward compatible. It requires an extra purchase to play the regular Xbox games on the 360. For this alone, I will never own a 360. I'll just keep what I have, and wait on the PS3.

maddengamer_66

Registered Member
the only thing about the ps3, you wont be able to play halo wars or halo 3 on it, which is one of the reasons i bought the xbox in the first place, and which could possibly be the deciding factor for the xbox 360 or waiting til the price drops (yea right) or just keeping my money for somethin else... the xbox 360 looks good, but im still thinking...

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Halo 3 looks really good. So do a lot of the Rainbow Six games on the 360. I haven't picked one up yet for myself, but more and more I am leaning that direction.

I want to see how the PS3's online dashboard compares to the XBOX Live setup, which I firmly believe is the best online setup in the industry (including pc).

Thermal

Registered Member
I think the Xbox is a great gaming system. However, I think Microsoft is putting the screws to gamers with the 360 NOT being backward compatible. It requires an extra purchase to play the regular Xbox games on the 360. For this alone, I will never own a 360. I'll just keep what I have, and wait on the PS3.
Not being backward compatible, all my xbox games are compatible, and I'm not sure what this extra purchase is. All you really need is a storage device (hard drive or memory card) to play, and thats necessary anyways.

I'm not a big fan of the Halo series. I loved Halo 1, but Halo 2 left a bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully Halo 3 will be better. As for the system, I think the Dashboard and Live shows that a console doesn't just have to be able games. I love being able to listen to my own music while playing games, or downloading demos and arcade games.

I really don't consider Blu-ray as innovation, and other than that extra space being used for locales its not that big of a deal for me yet. I think people are really misjudging the power of having Linux running on your system, which basically opens up the possibility of using the PS3 like a computer. The sixaxis controller really isn't the same as the Wiimote, and developers have stated its a totally different feel. Image leaning around a corner by tilting the controller and squeezing a few rounds, or shaking the controller to shake off enemies, or snapping necks. Its an extension of the controller, not a replacement like the Wiimote.

I'm looking forward to both.

Last edited:

junior1556

man sony sucks dey copied microsoft in da 360 like da X in the middle sony put the PS in the middle and all wireless and blue ray is horrible:nod:

Everguard

In my opinion, it depends on what kind of innovation you're looking for. The PS3 has sheer power and a motion-sensitive controller. The Xbox 360 has a massive online community, and isn't insanely expensive. The Wii is cheap, innovative and very fun to play, but lacks what makes the Xbox 360 and the PS3 strong. They're all great in they're own way, and it truly depends on what you want in a console. So as a brand; no, XBOX isn't overhyped.

blacklion000

well, i can say i have played on the 360 because my bro has one, however, i dont really see what the big deal is with it.

sure, it has better graphics and some gameplay is reasonably improved, but its just an xbox that has been badly upgraded

what is the point in only having the select few orginal xbox games playable on it? its plain ridiculous, microsoft really screwed this one up

i personally say dont get one if you are thinkin about it, but thats just up to you