Do you think health and safety has gone crazy?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by redsoxocd, Oct 12, 2009.

?

Do you think health and saftey has gone crazy

1. yes

60.0%
  2. no

20.0%
  3. I couldnt care less

20.0%
  1. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

In society we do some fairly dangerous stuff with all the potato guns and weaponry. This 30 years ago was perfectly acceptable, but in the modern society health and safety makes you wear goggles and be safe. The fact is you can do practically nothing in an open environment without being told to be safer.

What do you think about this and do you listen to all of the warnings.

I happen to be a hypochondriac. I get freaked out everytime I do as much as cough. Of course my doctor hates this because he sees me all the time, and to him, there is, usually, nothing wrong with me. But I'm just terribly afraid of getting sick.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not sure I understand the question. Health and safety with regards to what?

3. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

In terms of life. And all of the warning labels. And how much you are being pressured to do so many things to stay healthy.

4. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

This is the result of the nanny state. "We're from the government and we know whats better for you then you do". I as an individual don't need someone to hold my hand and tell me what I can and can't do in regards to dangerous activities. I know skydiving is dangerous. I know eating two double whoppers isn't good for me, but I should have a choice of if I want to do it or not. I know the risks, I'm not retarded. If I choose to engage in these activities, that is my choice, not the governments. The government can go pound salt if they don't like it.

YouTube - Banned: Welcome to Nanny State Nation

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Well I was trying to get you to narrow your question a little bit.

Some of the warning labels are obviously completely ridiculous. Some of them were probably literally a joke. Other safety regulations, such as wearing eye protection in dangerous situations, are completely legitimate.

Nanny State arguments aside, I don't understand why people wouldn't want to keep themselves safe - wearing seat belts, eye protection, safety harnesses when necessary, etc.

6. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I want you to own a gun to keep yourself safe from rapists and murderers. As a matter of fact I think we need a law requiring you to do that... not so nice now is it?

You don't have to understand Jeanie... it's not your concern if I choose to wear a seatbelt or not. It's the point of the nanny state... to control you, because they think it's better for you. People are tired of government telling them what to do and what not to do. Last I checked we are individuals who can make our own choices for ourselves...

7. Squeakers

Squeakers Registered Member

I think in terms of Health and Safety in a work related way it is starting to get a bit over the top. My dad is a truck driver and they are now trying to bring in a law stating that you can't wear shorts, only pants. ???

8. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

I was thinking more along the lines of working environment. I understand with any job they have safety videos and tutorials on how to avoid accidents and all, and most companies require you to study ALL OF THEM and pass numerous tests just to get the position. It is redundant after doing it over and over agian, I won't lie to you on that.

I work in the hospital environment and in retail, both have different standards of heath and safety that differ from one another but have the same outlines to watch your @ss. But eventually you find a way to work around that for what is comfortable for you while you work, not while the big shots up top decide how you should be safe when they're not on the front lines.

~Shwa

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I think it's the lack of common sense that's really making things unsafe, rather than the lack of safety mechanisms or practices.

For example, I run across the street whenever there aren't cars coming, regardless of the light. This is clearly not safe, but I do it anyways. One day, when I misjudge the incoming car and get hit, people will see me and say what an idiot I was. I should've gone when the crosswalk had that green light on.

Shwa likes this.
  10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

The simple answer is yes.

When the affluence of a culture rises so does it's self-awareness in regards to personal safety as well as the impact on one another and the world around them. We try to protect everyone from everything these days and it's the wrong way to go. For example, it is illegal in some places to order your meat rare or any kind of rare out of fear of health concerns. That's just one tiny example.

Safety has gotten out of hand once it begins infringing on the rights of people to choose what they legally want. A rare hamburger? Why can't you make me one? Who gives a shit, I eat my burger medium rare, why can't I have one? Forcing people to be safe will not result in more people being safe.