Do you think everyone should know how to swim?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I didn't really "learn" how to swim until I was in the university. I took an elective swimming class, hoping it will diminish my dreams of drowning. :lol:

On our paper the other day, the Sports Secretary said every children should have learned how to swim by age 12. He's thinking of incorporating swimming courses in the curriculum of young kids.

So do you know how to swim? What age did you learn? Should everyone know how to swim or it's not THAT important?

Last edited:

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I had no idea how to swim till I was 7 and I thought I was really old learning that age.
Swimming should be important to know even if you don't go to the pool/beach on a regular basis.
If you're on vacation and you really enjoy kayaking but can't swim - that's a problem.

Neogenesis

Registered Member
I think its down to two factors:

The environment you live in, because if you live, by the seaside, or abroad, you are bound to encounter a time when you have to swim somewhere, unless your phobic of the sea.

Another thing is that it is the decision of the parents most of the time. They may be scared to let a child into the water, due to past experiences or just bad vibes about the water.

Personally i think every child should learn how to swim, because it's great fun, A brilliant source of harmless exercise, and a great life skill.

kelxxx

Registered Member
i started swimming lessons at the age of about 4 ima very good swimmer i think its important to learn as you never no what could happen and when you would need to be able to swim :)

I'd say it's rather important. I forget at what age I learned, but I am at least a competent swimmer. Enough so that if I'm in an emergency, I will be able to stay afloat at least for awhile.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'd say it's rather important. I forget at what age I learned, but I am at least a competent swimmer. Enough so that if I'm in an emergency, I will be able to stay afloat at least for awhile.
True. I still don't dare go swim in deep waters (above my head). But I know in the case of emergency, I could stay floating for at least 5 minutes (then goodluck, lol).

garret

SEMPER PI Bitch! Always P
if you dont know how to swim and one day you're on a boat and you fall overboard you're kinda screwed so yeah i think evryone should learn how to swim.

My girls had swimming lessons at a very young age. We are surrounded by water and had a huge pool in our backyard when they were young.
So the answer is "yes" I think it's important for kids to have swimming lessons as soon as possible.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I can't imagine not knowing how to swim. I learned when I was very young, just by being in the water all the time.