Do you think being gay is a choice

whatsthepoint

Registered Member
NB: I'm not against gay people.
I've heard/read people say -you're born gay, you can't change it. But I've never read anything supporting it anywhere in physiology or medicine. It is still discussed only in Psychiatry.
Even the explanation - hormones, doesn't say its from birth.
Hormones are majorly affected by the cortex (the conscious mind , thinking)so it could be a choice after all.
What do you think ?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
No, it's not.

And yes, hormones are discussed. For example excess androgens released by the mother while she is pregnant with a male child increases the likelihood that the child will be gay.

Are hormones affected by the cortex? Or is the cortex affected by hormones? And how do you know?

whatsthepoint

Registered Member
No, it's not.

And yes, hormones are discussed. For example excess androgens released by the mother while she is pregnant with a male child increases the likelihood that the child will be gay.
Where did you read that? Even it was to be true it should have been ESTROGENS.

I was talking about the cerebral cortex(not the adrenal cortex). Read Harrison's Internal medicine 17th ed for more details.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Don't know, don't care! I don't think it matters why someone is gay, nor do I care if someone is gay. There are FAR more important things about a persons character than what they do in the privacy of their own bedroom (which is where such matters should stay IMHO!).

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm actually with SS here. Who cares if you're born like it or not? Who is it honestly hurting? No one. That's always been the answer and it hasn't changed, it's harmless.

Raos

Registered Member
I do not think it is a choice. For those that do feel it is a choice try flipping it on its head. Do you think heterosexuality is a choice?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Where did you read that? Even it was to be true it should have been ESTROGENS.

I was talking about the cerebral cortex(not the adrenal cortex). Read Harrison's Internal medicine 17th ed for more details.
Hi yeah, I don't need to read anything to know that you're talking about the cerebral cortex.

And yes, it is true and it is androgens
View Record

View Record

Prenatal stress in the mother influences her hormone levels which in turn influences the sexuality of her offspring.

Sim

Registered Member
No matter if people are born with it, or acquire it in early childhood (which is a scientific question I can't comment on), it is not their choice if they develop romantic feelings and sexual attraction to the same or the other gender in adolescense. Remember the first time you developed such feelings? When I did, it wasn't my choice: I simply felt attracted by girls, which didn't happen in case of guys.

What may some cause to claim that it's a choice, probably is the observation that many homosexuals at first don't chose to live out their romantic feelings for the same gender, and some may very well chose never to do that. Especially in societies with a very oppressive climate towards homosexuals, they may well chose to ignore these feelings and go so far as having a "normal", heterosexual family, just to avoid the negative social consequences they would be facing if living out their sexual orientation. Also, education and social pressure may make it difficult for many homosexuals themselves to acknowledge their attraction to the same gender, so it takes them a while before they realize they are homosexual.

But this doesn't mean it's a choice -- it may be a choice to embrace or ignore the own sexual orientation, but it's not a choice between either having a fulfilled heterosexual romantic life, or a fulfilled homosexual romantic life. A homosexual who choses to "stay in the closet" always has to give up fulfilment regarding love and sexuality. And when you demand from a homosexual to "chose" to live a heterosexual life, you demand him to give up any dreams about romantic and sexual fulfillment.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Hi yeah, I don't need to read anything to know that you're talking about the cerebral cortex.

And yes, it is true and it is androgens
View Record

View Record

Prenatal stress in the mother influences her hormone levels which in turn influences the sexuality of her offspring.
Not for anything and I still believe that it's genetic, but how do two tests involving castrated rodents who have been electro-shocked into action prove anything about something as complicated as human genetics and sexuality? I know they're the common test subjects but this isn't any sort of "proof" like you're suggesting it is.

Last edited:

Daemonic

Registered Member
Well, here is my view from my own experience.

Emotionally I can go either way, and in that respect I say I'm bi. On the other hand any time I got involved with a guy or experimented sexually I didn't like it. There was one guy I kept seeing and thought I might eventually be alright with the physical part. I never could get it up for him though and I think it must have made him feel bad. I hated the sex, tried to like it, and pretended I liked it....

That said, I do not believe physical attraction to the same gender is a choice.