• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you tell people when your going to be away?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm talking about the people you live with. As in if you go out and don't come home one night, or stay with someone else for several days in a row etc.

I ask this because the girl I currently live with often disappears for nights, even days in a row. It's currently Sunday morning and the last time she came home was Friday night. She didn't tell me anything, she didn't call or even text. Just vanished. And she's done this before.

Maybe it's just me, but I consider this sort of rude. I might be old fashioned but if I'm going to be away for a few days or more I feel like I should at least tell the people or person I live with, and at least text them and let them know.

I'm worried about a "Boy Who Cried Wolf" type situation going on. Usually when people disappear for a few days with no word people report it to the police. But she could disappear for a whole week and I'd do nothing because I'm used to it. Let's hope she is never actually attacked one day because it would be ages before anyone knew.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't always say something if it's just one night, but if I'm gone any length of time, I let them know. Although there have been times when I said I was going to be gone for a couple days, but I told them a bit in advance, and they forgot by the time I left :lol:

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I think the only time I've not told anyone where I was going was when I went to one of the GF meet ups, haha.

The only reason was my housemates didn't get home in time for me to tell them, and I forgot to let them know in advance. I did actually bump into them on the way to the station. If I hadn't, I definitely would have text one of them later to let them know I was staying out. I'd want them to do the same.

So, yes.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Sometimes, if I'm too drunk or tired to drive back to my place, I'll just crash with one of my friends, but I always make sure someone back home knows where I am. I have one those mothers that would go insane with worry if I didn't. I'm not kidding, my mom would call me three times a day when I was living away from home during college. Plus, it's good for someone back home to know where you are in case of an emergency or something.

If no one is home, what I like to do is write a message on a sticky note and slap it on the fridge, just in case.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
My roommate left Friday night, and only just came home tonight on Sunday night. Not a word, or text, call, FB message or anything about where she was that whole time.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I always tell my parents or my sister where I am going and when I'll be back home, I don't like having people worrying about me so I constantly update them. If I will be running home late, I let them know.

Blueyes

Registered Member
When I was living with my sister we didn't tell each other if we were going to be gone for any extended period of time or even a night. If we weren't there, we weren't there. I, for one, don't owe anybody an explanation if I'm going to be gone for a couple days/nights. I only owe a person advance warning if I plan on moving out but since I live my myself now it's a non issue.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Considering I live with my boyfriend, I think it'd be pretty awful of me to just stay out all night without a word.

I think the scenario you mentioned shows a huge lack of respect from your roommate. Just because you're not related or in a relationship, doesn't mean you aren't going to worry about her. I don't think they need to tell you where they are going, or what they are doing, but they should definitely tell you out of politeness if they aren't coming back. Like you say, you're naturally going to worry about them if they don't turn up.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
When I was living with my sister we didn't tell each other if we were going to be gone for any extended period of time or even a night. If we weren't there, we weren't there. I, for one, don't owe anybody an explanation if I'm going to be gone for a couple days/nights. I only owe a person advance warning if I plan on moving out but since I live my myself now it's a non issue.
You sound like my sister, it's such disgusting behavior. It really and truly is.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I think it's disrespectful to not let your SO/parents/ know about where you're going over the night and why you're not coming back.

Unless someone is a total strange roommate and you live in separate parts of the house/apartment then I'd always tell the other person where I'm going to and for how long.

It's called consideration.