• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you support legal prostitution?

Yes or no?

• Total voters

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
The question is simple but I'm sure the debate will rage on:

Do you support legal, untaxed, and unregulated prostitution as it stands in many places?

I, for one, do not. I don't like the idea of spreading disease, the lack of tax income, or the possible crime that comes with the profession.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I support legalized selling of sex, but not legalized buying or pimping. Like in Sweden. I don't believe people should be punished for becoming or having to become prostitutes- it's a form of wage slavery in many cases, or nonconsensual. We should go after the real criminals- pimps, traffickers, and those that fund them.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I support legalized selling of sex, but not legalized buying or pimping. Like in Sweden. I don't believe people should be punished for becoming or having to become prostitutes- it's a form of wage slavery in many cases, or nonconsensual. We should go after the real criminals- pimps, traffickers, and those that fund them.
I agree with this, sex traffickers etc are the real problem. If someone wants to be a prostitute and enjoys doing it then I don't see anything wrong with that so it should be legal. But if someone is forced into it then I take great issue with that.

qweerblue

Registered Member
I'm wondering--where is prostitution legal, untaxed, and unregulated?

As far as the OP, I think the debate would actually be more complex if the question were "do you support decriminalized, regulated, taxed prostitution?" As you asked it, my guess is it's a pretty simple "no" for most people, for the reasons you give--disease, lack of taxable income, and crime; I would add exploitation and coercion. (studies have shown, though, that prostitutes actually account for a fairly small percentage of STIs).

I support decriminalization and regulation of sex work. Sex work exists and will always exist; decriminalization and regulation would free up our legal system from having to waste time punishing adults for having consensual sex, would help shift the focus of criminal sanctions to those who traffic or otherwise coerce adults and children alike into forced prostitution, would help ensure the safety of both prostitutes and their customers, and would add state and federal tax revenue.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Hooker exploitation! LOL Isn't that an oxymoron?!

Poor souls. Makes me so depressed. Let them be self employed if they want. But like anyone that has an income, report it. Can you imagine the regs?? Only spread to a 76 degree angle, plastic lined beds, receive max of 2 abortions a year, hazardous waste fees, STD anti-transmission training, equal access for the handicapped.

Thing is, so many girls/guys put out, I don't know why men think they need to buy it. And funny how the customer base does not include women.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Thing is, so many girls/guys put out, I don't know why men think they need to buy it. And funny how the customer base does not include women.
It does actually. I once watched a show about male prostitutes on TV and they said they get just as much business as the females ones sometimes. Lots of women ringing up to order them. So if I were you I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that no females use prostitutes, it's probably just not as well-known but it does happen.

qweerblue

Registered Member
Hooker exploitation! LOL Isn't that an oxymoron?!

Poor souls. Makes me so depressed. Let them be self employed if they want. But like anyone that has an income, report it. Can you imagine the regs?? Only spread to a 76 degree angle, plastic lined beds, receive max of 2 abortions a year, hazardous waste fees, STD anti-transmission training, equal access for the handicapped.

Uh, well, I was talking about exploitation and coercion of women and girls (and I am sure some men and boys) who are trafficked and otherwise forced into prostitution. That actually happens, you know.

And as far as regulations, what you suggest is ludicrous. There need not be any regulations, beyond regular screenings for STIs, that go beyond those which already govern working conditions and goods/services transactions.

And women, do, indeed, seek out male--and sometimes female--prostitutes. I have several friends and an ex-girlfriend who are/were sex workers, and my ex- is actually a sex workers rights activist who focuses mainly on issues related to decriminalization and redirecting law enforcement toward traffickers and freeing those who have been forced into sex work. The focus of most of those I know who support decriminalization is to stop targeting and punishing consensual sex between adults and re-focus those energies toward helping those who have been forced into sex work and those who really would prefer to not engage in sex work yet feel they have no other viable choice, and, of course, as I mentioned, punishing traffickers.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
^

@ Steve: I doubt if something like this was legalized there wouldn't be a method of regulation. Like in Europe, I think it would only ever be legal if there were health requirements and periodic check ups. As a friend of mine says, prostitution is the second oldest job in the world next to shaming. You won't get rid of it.

Iris

rainbow 11!
You should have included "unregulated" in the poll. Because I do support prostitution I don't support unregulated, the poll and OP have different questions and I voted yes, but I want to change it to no. Lol

I support legal, regulated, and taxed prostitution. It is not a career of my choice, but I respect anyone who would want to do it.

I kind of like how they did it in Firefly. Lol

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I kind of like how they did it in Firefly. Lol
This is such a major win! I loved how the companions in Firefly were basically first class citizens, higher than many others and generally respected by the public. Inara was one of my all time favourite characters.