• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you support Catalonia's independence?

Interis

Registered Member
Things heat up very quickly in Spain lately--or so I thought. I didn't know that the plan has been around since 2014. The news I read today says that the Catalan parliament voted for independence, while Madrid is planning a "direct rule" for Catalonia.

I'm trying to inform myself by reading about Catalonia and what they can do if they choose to stand on their own feet. It certainly doesn't in favor of the Catalans. Rich as they may be if they can't make deals or enter the market, how are they going to support themselves in the future?

Impaired

Registered Member
Things heat up very quickly in Spain lately--or so I thought. I didn't know that the plan has been around since 2014. The news I read today says that the Catalan parliament voted for independence, while Madrid is planning a "direct rule" for Catalonia.

I'm trying to inform myself by reading about Catalonia and what they can do if they choose to stand on their own feet. It certainly doesn't in favor of the Catalans. Rich as they may be if they can't make deals or enter the market, how are they going to support themselves in the future?
Been an issue a lot longer. Franco dissolved the autonomy there in the 1930s.

I wonder what the ration is of people who support the move. I lived in Spain for 3 years and back then (decades ago) it was fairly evenly split between Catalans proud to be Spanish and those wishing Independence with about another third not really caring..

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Either way, regardless of your stance on Catalonia, Spain is far from looking good in this situation, especially the way they handled themselves on election day over there. Not a single country in the EU has spoken on it - at least, not that I'm aware of - and it looks like Trump & the US are siding with Spain in this one.

This is a situation that is heavily followed right here in Quebec because of our very similar political situation & history, although things are way, way, way less critical than it is in Catalonia. So far, the only people who have openly supported Catalonia are from right here in Quebec, being the separatist parties in Quebec & Canada - yes, there is a separatist party in Canada representing Quebec but no one cares about them, and rightfully so since they are absolutely irrelevant.

I'm far from being a separatist as I prefer the concept of autonomy myself. However, the way that Spain has conducted itself in the whole situation is frankly embarrassing for democracy.

Interis

Registered Member
@Impaired That's what I heard too, but the turnout rate during the referendum and the irregularities make me wonder if the support is being overdramatized.

@EdgeHead Spain is being very hard without trying the other methods. It feels kind of... barbaric? But it's also understandable why other countries would benefit more by siding with Spain. As rich and strong as Catalonia is, I don't think they're ready to deal with other EU countries. They would face problems when they go out of their comfort zone later and that's not going to help anyone.