• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you still use maps?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
And, by that I don’t mean Google maps or a GPS – I mean the real old-school maps.

For me, heck no. I’ve always been bad with direction and even worse with the old-school maps. I must prefer a GPS where they tell you exactly where to go.

thealigator

Registered Member
I don't even own a map much less use one. I am unsure if I would be able to use one correctly to be honest. My father however is a massive walker. He has climbed more mountains than I will ever see let alone go to the top and he swears by maps. He doesn't need a GPS unit just a map and a old fashioned compass.

I like having Google maps but to be honest it does worry me that we are so realiant on it in this day and age because if I am in an unfamilier place and I lose my network signal or my phone battery dies I am stuck. Even asking people for directions confuses me. The other thing that worries me is that as good as it is Google Maps is not infallable and I have seen it make mistakes at times.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I love good old fashioned maps and use them pretty frequently. I have a GPS in my car and it's pretty useful, and I also use Google Maps a lot, but I still prefer using a road atlas for trip planning.

Also, being a hiker I love topographical maps and can study them for hours. Being able to read a map is an important skill to have, though I do need to brush up on my compass skills.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like old fashion maps too, especially topographical ones. When we were on vacation I liked knowing how steep a climb we were about to have. I still like GPS, that has come in useful when we were trying to find the location of a business. Plus if you are hiking it keeps up with where you have been.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Not me but my cousin is probably the only person I know who still uses maps on a regular basis. She always keeps one in her car when we ride together.