Do You Still Use Front Page?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by leopard22, Mar 25, 2006.

1. leopard22

leopard22 Registered Member

Does anyone still use Front Page? I guess I was under the impression that it was a dud/dead piece of software, but it seems like some people still use it all the time.

Are they still coming out with new versions? If so, is it getting any better and does anyone know why people still use it. Sorry, but I think it's a terrible piece of software and there are so many others that are not very expensive that are much, much better.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I still use it but not to do entire pages. I set up tables in it sometimes.

I actually have Dreamweaver (and prefer it), but it takes so long to load half the time so I just pop FP open for the few seconds I need it.

Most of the pages I write are filled with PHP and other code anyway, so I really can't benefit from opening them in Front Page or any other program due to the fact that they don't display properly anyway (with the PHP and other server side code in them).

I'm a notepad person for the most part.

3. leopard22

Yeah, Dreamweaver can be a memory hog but it's so worth it. I don't think I could use another program now that I've been spoiled by Dreamweaver. I know Notepad is usually a coder's choice, but for us non-coder types who haven't yet taken the plunge and just do basic design stuff, I don't know if there's anything I'd rather use than Dreamweaver. I just wish the available extensions were like they used to be in the old days (pre-MX version) - when most everyone who designed one made it available for free instead of charging you for it. I guess everyone's got to make a buck though. :)

4. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

I use FrontPage from time to time depending on what kind of page of I am working on. Most of the time, I use a PFE (Programmer's File Editor) to do my pages, because I am working with JSP (Java Server Page) code that Front Page just screws up. Plus the PFE has line numbers on it so that you can go to the correct line when an error pops up in the JSP or JavaScript depending on what I am trying to do.

5. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I like working mostly with hard code, but of the programs I prefer Dreamweaver. I had a teacher who swore by Frontpage, though, it angered me greatly to have to learn that program.

6. leopard22

I hear ya. In my last job, I had to help out with people using our "development pod" which was basically 4 computers that teachers who had to share a computer could use for more advanced things that they didn't have the software for on their shared computer. One of the programs we had on the pod machines was FrontPage and I just cringed whenever I had to help someone with it because it just was so bad compared to something like Dreamweaver, which I worked on 90% of the time. I guess I'm glad that the first software I used was Dreamweaver, although it was a pretty steep learning curve since the person teaching me was a horrible mess at showing you how to do anything. It sure spoiled me for anything different (or less expensive) but I'm eternally grateful that I made the investment in my own copy as soon as I had enough bucks to do so.