Do you still have a VCR?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mirage, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you still have a VCR? I do. A few in fact. I also have a bunch of older moves on VHS still. I still remember when DVD's came out. It was the first major format shift in my lifetime and it came as a major shock. I guess at the time I really hadn't put much thought into the quality of home video getting any better. It seemed fine at the time but now it's crazy to see that we've advanced up to Blu-Ray technology.

Anyway, VCR's were always pretty solid. I never really had one break. I've had a few DVD players break. The laser that reads the disc got messed up somehow on a few.

VCR's are also convenient for hooking up gaming systems to TV's that only have a coax hookup. I had to do that just the other day.

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Only one but that's because it was built to my old TV which is currently sat in my bedroom. I never use it anymore, plus all my videos are at my parents house gathering dust.

3. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

We still have a VCR and it plays the videos fine, but it eats them up when you try to eject them. So if you do decide to watch a video you're essentially sentencing it to death.

4. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

I still have 3 working VCRs that I use to watch cassettes with. I'm to lazy to buy the movies on DVD.

5. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

I just gave a good one away, plus some tapes. I still have a TV/VCR Combo, but it doesn't work right now. I might just sell it to someone that can fix it. I know a few people that love to sit and watch VCR movies etc, so I might give them the tapes, apart from one or two that I might keep for somewhere to store my dust.

I used to love it when someone at home would rent a film, then we'd all stay in a watch it, but these days, when you rent a DVD, it's a case of 'cool, leave it there, and I'll watched it later.' It's not such a familly thing as the VCR cassette tape was.

6. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Yupperoo, and I watched one of my old WWF wrestling tapes on Wednesday. Apparently Shane McMahon failed to smell what The Rock was cooking.

7. ancredelamour

ancredelamour Registered Member

I have a DVD/VCR combo, only because I asked for a VCR for Christmas one year and my parents didnt want me getting behind the times.

8. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I have a VCR/DVD combo. I have a couple of tapes that require a VCR to watch, and I don't feel like spending money to update them all to DVD formate. At least for now. It's solid, works good, and I'll replace VCR tapes as needed. ^_^

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  9. Lemonv1

Lemonv1 Registered Member

Nope. Had one up until say a year ago when it stopped working.

10. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I have a few VCRs but I hardly ever use any of them because I never watch movies anymore.

I have one built into the small TV in my room but I don't use that either.