Do you start up conversations with strangers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

When you are out and about do you initiate conversations with people you see in line, at a bus stop, on the subway, in an airplane, out in the park, in a store with you, etc?

I do. Pretty much all the time. I will talk to just about anybody. I'll even start up a conversation in an elevator. :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

If something is happening nearby that makes a good subject then I do, or if the weather was really bad and we're at a bus stop. I never approach someone I don't know and say "How are you?" or anything.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It could happen. Usually it starts with eye contact, and I see if the other person is open to stranger conversation (if s/he is and I'm in the mood then I start a convo). When I don't want anyone talking to me, I avoid any eye contact.

4. Wednesday

Wednesday Registered Member

I tend 2 smile be4 striking up and convo...if they smile back, then i know they are approachable.

If they dont i think well the moody sods n walk away lol

English-Emo-Boy likes this.
  5. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I tend to do this a lot, I talked my heart out with this gal in a plane while coming back to Australia, she was 19 at least. I tend to talk in shops when it's a massively long line.

Overrally, I tend to talk to strangers.

6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

No, I always get brought into random conversations by strangers and the only time I willingly stay in them is if it's something I can debate.

7. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

i dont usually start talking to people i dont know when im out and about, actually im really bad for it. mostly because im scared that if i start out a conversation with them they might tell me to fuck off, or leave them alone. you never know who is gonna say what........but if someone i dont know talks to me when im out and about i will talk to them back....perhaps if there is a topic of discussion i like and am over hearing i might just perhaps drop in my opinion, if im feeling confident :)

8. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I HATE when people start random conversations with me. I'll be on the bus, spot somebody walking pass me and be saying to myself "Please, please don't talk to me!". Guess what? Yup, they start up a conversation with me. I really need some earphones so people think I'm listening to music.

I don't really communitate with people unless I have to. I prefer it that way. =)

9. fragile

fragile Registered Member

I don't do it, but it wish I had the courage and the imagination to. If it's not natural to start a conversation (if something funny happens, misunderstanding, needing help etc), then I would just feel awkward. And scenes from different shows and the Borat movie has kind of marked me. lol. Remember the scene where Borat says "hi" to a guy on the street, and he just freaks out. That's just insane.
    But I don't mind when other people approach me though. I think it's nice, and a bit sad (if I think the person was nice) because I know I'll probably never see that person again.

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

It varies significantly for me depending on the mood and situation.

Sometimes I like to keep myself to myself and wont even talk to people I know. At other times I will happily strike up a convo with a stranger.