• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you spook easily?

thealigator

Registered Member
Do you spook easily in life? I am not talking about films or tv programs that have scared you but more like these example:

Just now I was taking my rubbish out to our community bins. It is a bright sunny day and I was in one of those "in my own world" moments, as I was walking back someone was walking down the path and as I turned the corner I saw them which did make me jump back and give me a shock

Or there was a time that I was sat a bus stop, again, in my own little world listening to a podcast so had my headphones in my ears. Suddenly someone came up to me put there hand on my shoulder and asked me a question. I actually screamed, seriously, they were very apologetic to their credit.

The thing is horror films do not bother me, jump scares on these films do not scare me, I went to see Green Room last night that whilst the tension was amazing at no point did it make me jump or scare me, based on others around me it did have this effect, just not on me and so I can only conclude that I have decensored myself to these things.

But how about you? Would you walk down a dark alley alone? Do you still check your locks and windows? Are you still what the kids would call "a fraidy cat"?

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
I'm very set in my ways and am used to a routine at work or out in traffic so if something happens that I don't expect or I'm not used to then I can get spooked and bothered easily.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I'm sorta deadened to being spooked too. Usually to get spooked, there has to be more going on than just the physical thing. Like if you feel like someone might catch you doing something that's going to cause a problem, you feel more likely to get spooked. That happens to me once in a VERY great while (not often at all). Physical things like finding a spider in the bathroom does it, but it's more a quick reaction before I grab a towel and get it. Nothing from movies bothers me at all. But I do have this weird physical reaction to depictions of sports injuries that makes my stomach upset and maybe a little light-headed. But that's the only real form of "spooked" I get.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't get spooked easily but I have been a few times, life on a farm. I had someone shoot at the sign out in front of my flea market, should have been scared I guess but I was just mad that some moron would do that. Now the adventure I had riding a wildly bucking horse did scare me.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I don't know if I'd use the term "spooked" but I do get startled easily, whether it's random unexpected noise or someone trying to sneak behind me or something.

Impaired

Registered Member
It's all about context. The more engrossed I am in what I am doing, and the greater the disconnect of what happens can make me jump, startle, break out in goose flesh or whatever.

My wife is genius at this, goosing me while I am working under a car or a sink. She picks the exact wrong way to signal her presence.

I love spiders, but do not like ANY insect crawling over me without my prior consent. I catch and release any spiders bigger than a quarter to the outdoors.

So, yes and no.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's all about context. The more engrossed I am in what I am doing, and the greater the disconnect of what happens can make me jump, startle, break out in goose flesh or whatever.

My wife is genius at this, goosing me while I am working under a car or a sink. She picks the exact wrong way to signal her presence.

I love spiders, but do not like ANY insect crawling over me without my prior consent. I catch and release any spiders bigger than a quarter to the outdoors.

So, yes and no.
Yes now if I'm totally engrossed in something I can be spooked a little if someone or something sneaks up on me.