• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you read books more than once?

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I will only re-read a book, it is was a book that I really liked, and it has been some time since I last read the book, but if the book wasn't that good, then I will probably never pick it up again.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I have a few books that I really loved that I've read through more than once. In fact, I'm currently on my third read through of a great book. From the Corner of his Eye by Dean Koontz. It's an amazing novel, one of Koontz best I think.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I don't read alot of books back as such but I do read a lot of books by the same author.

The main authors I will read books by more than once are:

PJ Tracy
Matthew Rielly
Michael Moore
Mark Kermode
& Mark Thomas

One thing I intend to do this year is to start reading more books on my kindle so am going to start buying an replacing the books I own onto my device.

Leo2

Registered Member
Yes, I can't tell you how many times I have read Douglas Adam's The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I can even quote bits of it. "The Universe is big, like really big. If you think it is a long way to the shops ... " And there are people with wonderful names, like Slarty Bartfast, and Ford Prefect. :)

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
If I loved them, I will re-read. I have read the Harry Potter series 5 times, and the Sookie Stackhouse series about 3 times.

I almost read the Bartimaeous Trilogy twice, but I had just gotten the nook when I started it, and these books have those reference point at the end of the page, and it just wasn't as easy to read on the e-reader, so I put those aside and started something else, because I realllly wanted to use that e-reader! I do have those books in book form though, and will re-read them again some time or another. After I read all the new ones I have...which are plentiful.

Iris

rainbow 11!
totally! I plan on rereading the harry potter series, and I've read the book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson like eight times at least. I'd read it again, but I don't feel like buying it and I don't go to the library anymore. I've reread a few books from The Hollows series, too. I find that during my first read, I'm SO excited to know what happens that I skip over a lot of stuff, so when I reread a book, I discover new things I didn't realize before.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I was just thinking of this a couple of days ago, actually.

When I was a kid, there were a few books that I really enjoyed and would re-read. For some reason, as an adult, I don't like to re-read very often. Unless it's a classic of some sort, in those cases I'll make an exception (for example, Lord of the Rings..which I still haven't read...). But typically I don't read a lot of classics for some reason, so re-reading doesn't usually come up.

I think my reasoning is that there's just so much new stuff out there to read, why go with repeats unless you really enjoyed it and feel like you can take something new out of a second reading.

Vecoli

Registered Member
I too have read all the Harry Potters a number of time way to many to count, every time I go through a book I have already read I'll pick up on new things that i may have overlooked the last time, so I do think it's worth rereading some books. There are some which I enjoyed but not enough to reread.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've read a few book more than once when I was in school when I had to do a book report, but since I've graduated High School, I've only done it once and that was for The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth. I've read the book four times already and I'll probably read it again in the future. I've read many Babe Ruth books and that one is clearly the best I've read.