• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you read books more than once?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
It's as simple as that really --

A fair few people I know don't re-read at all. Yet, some do. Which category do you fall into - Please leave reasons as to why, if you have them.

E.G.
I generally don't re-read books. Often due to time issues, and because once it's in, it's in. Although, there have been occasions where a book has been that good that I've gone back to it after a while has passed simply because I want to see those sentences again.
Such marvels that I liked enough to go back for more include:
*The Silence of the Lambs
*Charlie Brooker's Dawn of the Dumb (I've re-read this countless times, it always makes me laugh)
*And --- although probably not a masterpiece, it was a book I felt compelled to re-read, for some reason - and that was Thinner by Stephen King/Richard Bachman.

So - there you go.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yes I do, I'm a huge fan of both re-reading books AND rewatching films. I have read every Harry Potter book about 8 times each, but most books I like I will read 3 or 4 times (obviously not close together). I'm currently reading a bunch of books I haven't read since I was about 12 which is nice, it's a blast from the past.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Yes I do, I'm a huge fan of both re-reading books AND rewatching films. I have read every Harry Potter book about 8 times each, but most books I like I will read 3 or 4 times (obviously not close together). I'm currently reading a bunch of books I haven't read since I was about 12 which is nice, it's a blast from the past.
Good point Crouton. It's seldom I get my hands on books I used to read as a kid, so when my Nephew comes up or whatever I'll actively rummage through his book collection that he brings with him and have a good read. I'm not ashamed Ha. --- I'm especially happy when he brings the 'Mr Men' ones, they're awesome.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I definitely re-read books. My favorites - The Stand and Slaughterhouse Five - I've read at least 5 times each, if not more. I've read The Chronicles of Narnia too many times to count. Also my favorite detective series, the Matthew Scudder mysteries by Lawrence Block, I've read each one at least three times, some of them more.

I plan to re-read a few books I've recently read for the first time because I loved what the authors did with the words.

Novelty in a book is nice, but reading something unknown is unpredictable, and sometimes I just want to wrap myself up in a book that I know and love.

Daemonic

Registered Member
If I really like a book I will read it again.

Sometimes, I even find I get more into it or pick up on the storyline better the second time around.

Dabs

Registered Member
I have re-read a couple of books that I have. If I haven't yet, that doesn't mean I never will, so I keep them. I have read the non-fiction book "Fatal Vision" about 3 times I believe, and it's an older one, I have had it for years.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I do tend to re-read my favorite books. I've probably read Angela's Ashes more than 3 or 4 times. Another one I really love is The Outsiders, which I read for an 8th grade English project, and its still one of my favorites. Same can be said about The Chocolate War. I think re-reading the book let's me read between the lines and I tend to pick up a few things that I missed during the first read.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I don't really read for leisure any more, but I have re-read a lot of my favourites. In fact, if I was going to pick up reading again I would definitely start off with books that I already know I love.

I wouldn't re-read just any old book though.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Yeah but only those that I really enjoy. I have re-read Stephen King's Misery, Carrie and The Shining.
I'm also re-reading a book right now called The Jigsaw Man which fascinates me.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I have never re-read any book. I don't have much patience to do that.
I've only taken a quick glance at different phrases, of the books I have enjoyed.