Do You Prefer Mac to Windows?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by leopard22, Mar 24, 2006.

1. leopard22

leopard22 Registered Member

Honestly, I've not used a Mac often enough to say I prefer one to the other. Of course, Windows has some very severe limitations and inconsistencies, but I'm sure the Mac OS isn't perfect either.

Still, most graphic designers I know prefer the Mac and tons of teachers still prefer the Mac - I think because schools initially bought Macs and didn't switch to Windows until more recently, so they're more used to the system.

I think it depends a lot on what you first learned on. I first learned on CP/M which is a dinosaur, then DOS, then Windows. Never spent much time on a Mac as they were always out of my price range and everyone I knew had Windows.

If you're a Mac fanatic, what makes it so much better, in your opinion?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

First of all, I think Mac made a big mistake by loading up the school with their computers, and then never giving them new ones. A lot of schools nowadays still have their really old original Macs in their computer labs. I know a lot of people who think of "ancient" when they hear the word Mac, just because they don't get a chance to use the new stuff. Of course this is far from the truth, and lately I've seen schools getting up to date with their technology, so that's not as much of an issue anymore.

I've used Macs before. I think they are WAY better for almost everything you could think of. Much easier to use, and much faster than any PC. (The newest Macs). However, I'm used to how PC's work and operate, and can't see myself making a permanent switch to a Mac anytime ever. I would like to get my hands on a nice one though for graphic and video work. I'm sure I could get used to it. ;)

3. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

I use the PC at my job as a webmaster and use a Mac at my other job helping put a want-ads paper together. They both have there good points and bad points. If I am going to have a computer for just goofing around and playing games, then it would have to be a Windows based PC. But if I wanted a computer for graphics then it would definitely have to be a Mac.

What I can do on the Mac, the Windows based PC would be left in the dust when it comes to graphics.

4. Julie

Julie Registered Member

Guilty! I've always thought "ancient" when hearing the word Mac. But now with everything you guys are saying about them, when one of our computers here decides to bite the dust...just might have to check these out! ;)

5. Albey

Albey Registered Member

I agree completly, I have never personaly used a mac for graphics, but with the stuff i have seen its just crazy.

6. leopard22

leopard22 Registered Member

The graphics people I used to work with all preferred the Mac and used to have nothing but nasty things to say about Windows when I'd come in and ask them to fix a graphic for me 'cause they did it so much better. They always said it was because they had Macs but it was just that they had skills I don't, although having Macs probably didn't hurt :)

It's probably the cost that keeps most people from going to Mac who would like to. Too bad.

I didn't realize that schools didn't upgrade the original Macs ... what was I paying outrageous taxes for all those years if not to keep the next generation on the cutting edge ??? :lol: (I sound like my parents) ... seriously, that's really too bad that it rebounded on Mac's reputation. Wonder if the corporation has ever considered that as a factor in their difficulty to challenge Microsoft over the years ... hmmm :-/

7. Spinlock

Spinlock Registered Member

Heh... I'll put the graphic design work my wife does against anything produced by a Mac anytime. It's a matter of skills... having a Mac doesn't matter anymore.

Now if I can only master the Gimp...

8. Python

Python Sssssuper Platinum ******

I prefer the Mac even tho it put a dent in my wallet. Back in High School, I used the Apple IIe and was impressed what it could do over a Packard bell 80286 computer.

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well considering that Photoshop is pretty much the same software on PC and Mac the only advantages a Mac would have over a PC would be better use of resources and memory. For the extra money you'd drop to get the Mac though you could make your PC twice as good, which would then have higher specs than the Mac regardless of how well resources were used.

10. drupr2

drupr2 Registered Member

What is the best mac os for playing simple games and listening to music.