Do you pay taxes?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by SmilinSilhouette, Oct 24, 2009.

1. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

I'm wondering if you pay income taxes, if so what % of your income? My theory is that those who pay less or none tend to support taxpayer funded programs such as health care and those that pay more are much less inclined to support more entitlements.

Our household paid 34% in Fed & State taxes, not including sales & property taxes and other fees. We had a total income of less than 100k.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I paid less than that because we don't have a state income tax. But, we pay a sales tax so it actually may be more than that.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

We are in the 2nd to highest bracket of income tax here (and we have loads of other taxes). Your theory doesn't apply to us. But maybe it's a cultural thing because I haven't really heard of the rich here complaining about our taxes going to our health care programs and other social services. They support it a lot in the spirit of solidarité that most citizens here hold precious.

4. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

You had to have Taxable Income in the 275K range to pay 34%.

5. SmilinSilhouette

Nope, less than 100K in a 2 income family. That includes both Federal and State income taxes combined. I have my tax forms in front of me.

However, I am self-employed. That means I pay both halves of FICA & Medicare, people who are employees have half of those taxes paid by their employer.

6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Im tax exempt at present (f/t education) on everything except sales taxes. In the past though I have been in the highest tax band (40%) and my stance towards social entitlement has stayed relatively consistent throughout my adult life. If anything the more I earned the more I felt obliged to contribute, the way I saw it the more tax I paid the more succesful I was and I always ended up with more money in the bank for it.

Same here, there was a survey done (I wish I could find it) that to paraphrase concluded that the biggest opponents to taxes were those in the lower-middle income category whilst the proponents were the higher, higher-middle and lower categories. I guess its a proportional to lifestyle necessities thing.

7. SmilinSilhouette

Oops, made a mistake in my calculation as I forgot to subtract the amount overpaid. That takes be down to 30%