Do you or somebody you know...

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Live under a rock?

I mentioned that Michael Jackson died to somebody yesterday and he had somehow missed the news and actually had just heard it from me for the first time.

Are you ever like this or do you know people who just aren't in the loop on big ticket news items at times?

Yeah, me* :lol: I hear lots of stuff for the first time here on GF, actually. I don't read papers or watch the news. I only look at articles on my homepage if something catches my eye. I hear things from people around me but sometimes I don't realise the extent of the news they're talking about because I haven't read about it myself first.

*Not anywhere near as bad as your friend though, haha.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yeah, me* :lol: I hear lots of stuff for the first time here on GF, actually. I don't read papers or watch the news. I only look at articles on my homepage if something catches my eye. I hear things from people around me but sometimes I don't realise the extent of the news they're talking about because I haven't read about it myself first.

*Not anywhere near as bad as your friend though, haha.
This.

I don't keep up on current events at all, and most of my news comes from here.

Although, I first heard about MJ's death from some xbl friends.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
I'm not suprised. Most people today are so self-absorbed and unconcerned about anything except what's right in front of them that I suspect most people go through the day heedless and uncaring of anything else going on in the world.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
Yes one of my friends is like this. It was actually shocking because my friend an I were speaking about politics and then I started talking about Obama (at this time Obama had been in power for 1 week or so) and she replied to me with "When does he come into power?" to that I replied ":jawdrop: He is in power now, do you not read the news?" to which my friend said "Not really no." :shifteyes:

Bliss

Sally Twit
Like Bex, I am like that. I avoid the news and I never buy newspapers. I pick up the Metro maybe once a week because it's free but I usually don't care to hear of depressing deaths. Each time I have watched the news I always learn that an old woman was robbed and beaten to death, someone new died of cancer or that someone got shot. You never hear about good things so I choose to tune out.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I'm not suprised. Most people today are so self-absorbed and unconcerned about anything except what's right in front of them that I suspect most people go through the day heedless and uncaring of anything else going on in the world.
That's a pretty big leap there, (Constantine?) Someone who doesn't stay on the crest of the news may still be contributing greatly and selflessly to society. Conversely, following the news probably doesn't indicate any lack of self-absorption.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I know a lot of people who work out at camp during the summer, and they often miss stuff (although they heard about MJ's death - ironically, apparently there was a camper named Mike Jackson, and that led to some confusion initially).

And sometimes I get out of the loop, if I was on vacation, or whatever. It's really easy to miss even really big news. All it takes is a couple days of not looking at the news, and you could suddenly be "living under a rock".

If only a couple things were different, I might have missed the MJ news. It really isn't hard.

While I agree most people (not just today, but throughout human history) are self-absorbed and uncaring, I think it often has little relation to their staying up on current events.

browneyes106

Registered Member
I know a few people who don't keep with the news often. I have a cousin who spends most of his free time watching sports and he rarely watches other channels. So often he doesn't know what's going on outside the sports world.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Yeah I know friends who don't know things like common foreign cities, whole countries (Myanmar!? WHAT DU FUCK) and who ran for President in 2008. It's bad.