• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you like what Wikileaks is doing?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Pretty simple question here. Do you like what Wikileaks is doing?

A lot of people are mad that all these secrets are being released.

What are your thoughts?

Mantis

Registered Member
Wikileaks is just the messenger, what has been released so far is more risible then dangerous. Now the Guardian (UK newspaper) and other medias have the lot's! and that is where maybe wikileaks has been clumpy, because God knows what our media in Uk will deal with these types of informations.

I think politicians are worried because it show them for what they really are, which is simple people who lost the plot now and then. It breaks this image that they try to sell us all over the world.

So I found the whole story fascinating and looking forward to read more about it, after all the Power of Internet changed the world when it was created, now we start to see how powerful this fantastic tool is. Governments can't hide any more as much as they used to back 20 years and only for that, I think it worth doing.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Like Mantis said, punish the source, not the messenger. I don't necessarily "enjoy" or "like" what Wikileaks is doing, but it is necessary given the paranoia going around in our world today.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm not sure yet.

Part of me is giddy with joy as all this dirty laundry is being exposed. Perhaps it's because I'm hoping some change will come from this with multiple governments including our own being so worried that they're going as far as detaining and questioning their own citizens for simply reading WikiLeaks. Then, the miltary is taking action to make sure its soldiers don't read it either. It's kind of scary to see them reacting this way and only makes you wonder what they're really afraid of.

On the other hand, I'm worried about the implications. There could be some loss of life with these sorts of secrets being leaked out.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
On the other hand, I'm worried about the implications. There could be some loss of life with these sorts of secrets being leaked out.
Since it is all about 'keeping governments open' I would worry about both the government officials as well as Assange.

Mantis

Registered Member
I'm not sure yet.

Part of me is giddy with joy as all this dirty laundry is being exposed. Perhaps it's because I'm hoping some change will come from this with multiple governments including our own being so worried that they're going as far as detaining and questioning their own citizens for simply reading WikiLeaks. Then, the miltary is taking action to make sure its soldiers don't read it either. It's kind of scary to see them reacting this way and only makes you wonder what they're really afraid of.

I share your worries regarding the lengths governments are already taking to prevent the release of informations. As taxpayers, I believe that we have the right to know. All these pseudo patronizing attitudes (it's secret defense, people wouldn't understand, etc) are quite annoying. It is with little doubt that there are things that they don't want us to know.

You are talking about "hoping that some change will come out of this" I believe there will be. If we look at the scandals the release of informations regarding MPs expenses in the UK this year, it DID change things and we have now more transparency. Saying that, they will also "play the game" and although we won't have a perfect transparency immediately, it's going in the right direction.

Let's hope the Wikileaks Files will have a similar impact.

Mantis

Registered Member
Thanks for the link MeninTights, interesting developpement although not surprising, wikileaks didn't give these infos to UK newspapers for free!! obviously not!

I question the timing though, why is he coming out only now with these allegations?

As for saying selling intel is clearly treason if true, well it is clear in this article you posted that this is something which is going on all across the board (not only wikileaks) therefore, would you suggest that if ANY governments were selling intel to other governments they should also been prosecuted for treason??

It is a lucrative business and Im sure that our respective governments don't pass info to each other for free! (No chance!).

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Thanks for the link MeninTights, interesting developpement although not surprising, wikileaks didn't give these infos to UK newspapers for free!! obviously not!

I question the timing though, why is he coming out only now with these allegations?
I question it also. Particularly to come out with this revelation on a small radio show.

As for saying selling intel is clearly treason if true, well it is clear in this article you posted that this is something which is going on all across the board (not only wikileaks) therefore, would you suggest that if ANY governments were selling intel to other governments they should also been prosecuted for treason??

It is a lucrative business and Im sure that our respective governments don't pass info to each other for free! (No chance!).
Well it couldn't be treason, but its a good question. If our 'friend' Pakistan sells crucial intel about the US to Turkey is that an act of war? I don't know.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Can't really say; on one hand, I've seen a couple statements like, "We don't care how many people die because of this," but on the other, they recently asked the government if there was any information in the release that might threaten a particular person. Though, whether or not they asked that out of genuine concern or just to poke at the government could be up for debate.