• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you leave your pets in the car?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I don't have pets but today while I was being nosy and just checking at the parking lot of the grocery next to me, I saw a woman get out of the car and leave her dog inside. The dog was of course tapping on the windows, wanting to go out. If it were a child, this would have caused outrage (although I hear some adults still do it). But is there anything wrong with leaving your dog inside the car (windows closed, prolly coz it's cold outside or for security), while you do your grocery?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It depends how long she is going to be. If she was going to do a full weeks worth of grocery shopping and take a long time then it would be wrong. But if she just had to quickly run in and get a bottle of milk then come back then that's okay. It's hard to tell if it's wrong or not unless you know how long she was actually gone for.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I leave my dog in the car for short amounts of time but never more than ten or fifteen minutes. I believe it would be cruel to leave him any longer than that in any weather but the heat would be even worse.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've never done it. I think it's ok though depending on the pet and how long it's going to be. Some pets don't mind just chilling there alone until you come back. Some go crazy and shouldn't be left alone in the car. Personally, I would never do it with a pet of mine, mostly because I wouldn't want it to get stolen. I wouldn't leave something like a laptop in plain sight in my car, so I definitely wouldn't leave a pet either. The pet can't be replaced like the laptop can. And yes, people steal pets.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
A couple of times I left my one dog in the car while my daughter was at karate, because we were going to my sister's after that and I wanted to bring the dog with us and not have to go all the way back home to get her. That wasn't even for an hour and the weather was mild, not too hot and not too cold. She doesn't mind being in the car at all. My other dog would not tolerate that for even a minute, he gets all nerved up when he has to go anywhere in the car.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Not for more than 10 or 15 minutes. My dog is pretty cool about sitting in the car tho. She usually just curls up and goes to sleep on the back seat. My cat hates being in the car (or in any other confined space, for that matter) for too long; even when I'm driving. He'll start scratching and clawing at the car seats and the windows.

And like Echoes mentioned people do steal pets, which does me make nervous when leaving either of my pets in the car. But I'm never too worried about my dog, because she's super-suspicious when it comes to strangers and no one wants to steal a mixed pitbull that could potentially bite their leg off.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It was just an observation because I easily notice people with pets (when I'm at our balcony) and wonder how my life would be if I had pets. For example, I see my neighbor walking the dog out at really bad weather because I guess he has to - dogs need to go out regularly and be walked. I think it's dedication to take care of one. I just wonder if owners are also subjected to strict "take care of them well" rules the way parents are. Like in this case, I wonder if it doesn't get PETA all upset no matter how long you're gone for.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
PETA gets pretty upset about almost everything. If they had their way, people wouldn't have pets at all, no joke. But yes, if you leave an animal in a vehicle that gets dangerously hot, you can be prosecuted for animal cruelty, but I think it's more difficult to do than child abuse. It's definitely a huge commitment to take care of a dog, particularly if you live in the city and you have to take them for a walk on a leash.

Dragon

V.I.P.
I can never leave my dog in the car because i am scared someone is gonna break into my car and steal my dog. I use to work at a pet store and people are allowed to bring in their pets. We got a some complaints from customers telling us someone left their dog in the car with the windows up on a hot day.

I came out of the grocery store the other day and as I was walking to my door, there was a dog in the car and the window was down just a little bit. The temperature was in the teens and the owner was better off leaving the dog at home. Just the other day, a lady was arrested because her dog froze to death outside. Pretty sad.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Just the other day, a lady was arrested because her dog froze to death outside. Pretty sad.
Wow she must have left the dog pretty long time in there. So she was reported by other people who found out about the frozen dead dog before she came back for it?