Do you know your National Anthem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I was wondering if you guys knew your National Anthem without looking at the lyrics or without anybody else singing it at the same time as you?

Also how old were you when you first started singing your National Anthem.

I know my National Anthem perfectly, when I was in school I use to recite it everyday, and I watch a lot of sports and its played before every sporting events. I was three years old when I first started singing it.

2. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Yes. I had it drilled into me when I first moved here because we had to sing it every school assembly. So i've known it since I was 13. I even know the parts that are in Maori, although it took me alot longer to remember them than the English parts.

3. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

Technically (I think) Scotland's national Anthem is "God save the Queen" - which (again I think -maybe someone can correct me?) applies to all of the UK. I do not know all the words to this anthem but I know some of them.
    Scotland also has another song that it calls its national anthem "Flower of Scotland" which I know is played at rugby games and such, but I don't know it it's the offical anthem of Scotland. I only know the first verse of this song.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Yes, I know the words to The Star-Spangled Banner. I have no idea when I first learned it. Probably pretty young. Everybody in my 6th grade history class had to memorize it and sing it individually for the teacher, but not in front of the class. I knew it before then, though.

5. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

yes, i do know my nation anthem. I am not sure when I memorized it though. I would probably have to say some time around middle school.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Allons enfants de la Patrie, le jour de gloire est arrivé...

I know the shortcut version. Our anthem is looooong but fortunately they only play the cut version in ceremonies or the games.

I also know two other countries' anthems by heart because we used to memorise a choral version of it for my group's tour. I like the US anthem.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I don't know my anthem very well at all. In fact, I probably know America's anthem better than England/UK's haha. I learnt quite a lot of it a while ago but I guess I've forgotten a large amount of it now.. I do know your pledge of allegiance though :D

8. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I know our Anthem. Learned it along with a few other major songs like My country tis of thee (Purple mountain majesty), Yankee Doodle, and others around second grade.

I've been to tons and tons of hockey games, so the Star Spangled Banner is always played. I've heard it sang wonderfully and I've heard it butchered. But either way I still love it and no matter how many times I hear it I still get goosebumps from it when sang at its best.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

This is what I noticed. Those who learn the anthem at school but never hear it much anymore, usually forget it. But those who watch sports activities all the time and hear the anthem playing at the start or end of ceremonies, they have it memorised quickly!

10. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Who wouldn't know it when they made you sing it every Friday for rest of your primary school years..