• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you keep a journal?

Bliss

Sally Twit
As some of you know I have been attending a short course on counselling. Now part of the course involves us keeping a journal. We have to do an entry once a week after the Tuesday night session. We have to talk about how we feel, what we learnt etc.
I had never had a journal before now and I was worried the words wouldn't come out. As soon as my pen touched the paper I started writing and I found it really easy.

Do any of you keep a journal?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Good god, no. I'm horrified enough as it is when I go back and read some old threads, especially those that I've posted in my other forum where I'm quite a bit more open with my personal struggles.

I do keep a book journal where I (try) to record what I've read and my thoughts on the book. But a personal journal? No effing way.

I was watching a DVD of some Cameron Crowe movie, might have been Fast Times at Ridgemont High (yes I know he didn't direct it) and he talked about keeping musical journals. He would make a mix tape of whatever songs he happened to be listening to at that particular time in his life. I always thought that sounded like a good idea but I could never be arsed to do it.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I used to have a journal on LiveJournal many many years ago (thinking back it shows how the internet age has moved on so fast) but I have not wrote or even looked at my account. The last time I did look at it I cringed so badly about the s**t I wrote on there and I can't believe I even wrote it. I think they are a healthy part of life, I was asked to keep a diary when I underwent CBT but honestly I don't bother with a journal anymore, I just don't have the time.

Dabs

Registered Member
I used to keep a journal after my Mother passed away, it was on the advice of counselors. So I started, actually I think I had about 2 of them. But when I went back and read over what I had written, I was mortified! I felt bad after losing my Mother, but I didn't realize just how bad it was sounding, till I read my own words. I thought to myself, what a terrible thing for my children to find these journals after I have passed away, and the pain it would cause them. (for I said some things not bad about THEM at all, but some things in regards to my own life). So I tossed them.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I used to as a wee little lad, but not anymore (I stopped in 6th grade). It had many details about my personal life in elementary school, despite my poor grammar.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The only times I've tried keeping a journal were during my hiking trips. An everyday journal is something I'd like to do, but my writing skills are severely lacking and I struggle translating thoughts into words.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I keep an art journal, which is for all my drawings and sketches. I also keep a journal of sorts where I stick every ticket I have ever got in, and various other things. I hardly ever annotate it. I've never had a journal where I write my feelings or anything like that.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
When I first moved away from college to go to college I did keep a journal. I don't even know why I started it but I can only assume it was because it was such a new experience and I wanted to remember my thoughts looking back on it. It last a few months and eventually I stopped.

I still have it too; I hand wrote it.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
No, I never kept one. I used to write my dreams down every now and then, or start a daily journal and have it literally last one day, but that's about it.

I definitely could never keep up with a journal. It would be really interesting to read back on though, so I regret not keeping one when I was younger. And no doubt when I'm older, I'll regret that I didn't keep one at the age I am now. :p

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
I've kept journals at several stages of my life. When I was younger (13/14) it wasn't always very truthful so I stopped because I didn't see the point in a "False" diary.

I keep one now. It helps me stay centred.