• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do You have friends who partake in drugs?

Shwa

V.I.P.
I'd like to know if users like myself have friends who partake in illegal activities, namely those involved with drugs and other stimulants/depressants. I was having a conversation with Bosox04 about a friend of mine who is a regular user of methamphetamines. It was brought to my attention when I actually discovered this to be true. He advised me that I shouldn't keep "those kind" of people who I consider a friend close to me for it would put a bad stigma on my person.

I've known people who take and sold weed and what not, and I've had a lot of friends that partake in higher risk drugs, and to be honest it doesn't bother me the slightest. I know I'm not interested in taking them for my career sake and just because its something that doesn't seem fun for me to do. I always have an agreement that if they don't ask me to join them, or do it around my family or other friends who don't, then they're A-Ok with me. I've had to drop a couple of friends who've crossed that line with me before, but its a simple rule that I follow by: Don't ask me to do something I wont do, and we'll get along fine.

Most of those friends I have understand and they respect my simple rule, and we hang out fine and dandy just shooting the breeze or going out. For me, I'm not one to judge what you do, just make sure it's not going to effect your life or ever cross into mine. Having said that, we're golden.

But how about for you guys? Do you have friends who do the hardcore drugs that you still hang out with (excluding weed, we're talking speed, ecstasy, dope, etc)? Or do you just drop them because of what fun they have on their own time? Have you been in a situation where they've offered some form of drug to you before that's made you feel uncomfortable? I'd like to know your opinion on the matter.

~Shwa

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Do you have friends who do the hardcore drugs that you still hang out with (excluding weed, we're talking speed, ecstasy, dope, etc)?
I had a friend who was big into shrooms for awhile but other than the usual such as weed or booze, that's a no.

Or do you just drop them because of what fun they have on their own time?
It's not just 'fun they have on their own time' though. Firstly, I'm a firm believer in your right to do whatever you want to your body so long as you aren't hurting other people. However, any one over the age of 5 knows of a common behavior many people engage in and that's 'guilt by association'. Sure, I'm not doing shrooms and Shwa, you're not on meth. However, the risk we take is that if someone is known as a hardcore druggie or whatever, our reputations are in danger. It sounds shallow at first but just think about it.

The harder drugs, obviously, are more dangerous and carry much heavier stigma than something like weed (which is losing its wrongfully earned image of a highly dangerous drug more and more each year), We even laugh when someone says, "Oh that's just Jake, he's bakes like it's his job" but you'll never hear someone say, "Who, Mike? Oh yeah, Mr. Needles, yeah he's the man." Maybe it's wrong on some level, but if I found out a friend of mine was doing hard drugs, I'd be worried and I'd try to talk to them about it. I'd be worried too what people thought of me because that's just the power of the taboo on these drugs. But first and foremost, my worry would be them.

Shwa

V.I.P.
It's not just 'fun they have on their own time' though. Firstly, I'm a firm believer in your right to do whatever you want to your body so long as you aren't hurting other people. However, any one over the age of 5 knows of a common behavior many people engage in and that's 'guilt by association'. Sure, I'm not doing shrooms and Shwa, you're not on meth. However, the risk we take is that if someone is known as a hardcore druggie or whatever, our reputations are in danger. It sounds shallow at first but just think about it.
I agree completely by the thought of "guild by association" and I've been told about cases such as the one you've mentioned. I've been asked before if I did any drugs with such and such person or if I knew where to find a dealer, but for those who ask me I've always let them know that's not the kind of thing I'm into and I don't know anyone. When people start asking me those kinds of questions, they're usually not the kind I hang out with in general.

On the augmentative side though for guild by association, I've known some of my druggie friends for years yet recently discover they've switched to hardcore stuff. In my mind, they're the same person I originally befriended and its hard sometimes to just let them go because of what they choose to do. Honestly, the ones I hang out with from time to time still act like they have for as long as I've known them. Call me simple, but I guess I just don't notice the large physical, mental or emotional change if and when they're using.

~Shwa

shelgarr

Registered Member
None of my friends use (that I know of). At the time I quit using any drugs and quit most all my partying, a few of my friends continued. Slowly we grew apart. It took a good long time but it was inevitable. I don't think a non-user friend needs to make a deliberate attempt to disconnect, but likely it'll happen anyway.

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
My best friend was a huge pothead. Well, I guess I can't say was because he still is. He'd wake up in the morning and smoke.. get to school/work and smoke in the parking lot.. during some periods at school he'd go out and smoke.. at work he'd go into the freezer and smoke.. he'd smoke before he went home, when he got home.. before he went to bed.

That's no over exaggeration either.

I on the other hand don't smoke.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
None of my friends use (that I know of). .
This. Neither have I used any.
My friends are not the type to do/try drugs and so am I . I'm not really interested nor curious.

If one of my friends started doing drugs then I don't know if I'd continue the friendship with them.
------
Also, if I become friends with someone who uses drugs then I wouldn't mind it if they keep doing so.

Last edited:

Shwa

V.I.P.
This. Neither have I used any.

Also, if I become friends with someone who uses drugs then I wouldn't mind it if they keep doing so.
See there's the thing that kinda bothers me, not realy bothers but boggles my mind. If a friend you've known for years on end and who's been a friend suddenly admits/shows they're a drug user, why would someone instantly just drop them from their life? Like I said before in my earlier post, its your life and I'm not here to judge, just do what you wanna. My only rule, don't ask me to join as a sign of respect and what not. I honestly don't see the logic in just dropping them because of what they do on their own time and with their own money. I can understand if it involves you where they ask for money or constantly ask if you know a connection. But if they're just acting normally and being the friend that you know, what would it hurt?

~Shwa

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
See there's the thing that kinda bothers me, not realy bothers but boggles my mind. If a friend you've known for years on end and who's been a friend suddenly admits/shows they're a drug user, why would someone instantly just drop them from their life? Like I said before in my earlier post, its your life and I'm not here to judge, just do what you wanna. My only rule, don't ask me to join as a sign of respect and what not. I honestly don't see the logic in just dropping them because of what they do on their own time and with their own money. I can understand if it involves you where they ask for money or constantly ask if you know a connection. But if they're just acting normally and being the friend that you know, what would it hurt?

~Shwa
I've seen people change after they start using drugs and also impose the same thing on everyone around them.
It hurts because I've had interactions with people who weren't close friends of mine but used to act normally around me or anyone else. After doing drugs for a long time they became cold, unfriendly and rude. Why would I put up with someone who is misbehaved?

But if they act normally then I don't think I would mind the fact that they are doing drugs.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I have friends that take drugs when they go out clubbing. And I have one friend who smokes weed every single day. I won't say it doesn't concern me but I wouldn't stop being their friend because of it. It is their life and their choice at the end of the day. I don't approve and they know I don't.

These particular people have never offered me drugs but my friends in school did. I just said no and they laughed and called me a wimp but it soon died down. I have only ever given in to peer pressure for cigarettes and alcohol. Never again.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think I've ever seen any type of drug in person outside of weed. A guy I went to college with was a huge pothead...along the lines of Bob's friend that he mentioned. It didn't bother me but it was kind of weird when he'd have a "supplier" come over to the apartment and sell them in his room. I didn't even mind when his friends would come over and partake with him.

The only thing for me would be I wouldn't want to live with him at this stage in my life. If he wants to do that then that's fine but keep me away from it.