• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do You Have Any Fear?

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
Do you have any fear of anything that may be found outdoors?

Please I have so many fears that I am going to have another panic attack.
To name a few snakes, opossum, bees, dogs that are not leashed and have no one with them,
if by the water crocodiles and alligators and any kind of outdoor/indoor mice or rats.

I see any of these I'm running arthritis or not. My phobias are terrible and nothing to joke with.
When a person says I'll have a heart attack I believe them.

So do you have a fear of anything outdoors?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Only if its about to attack me and its too big for me to open a can of whoop ass on it.

Seriously I'm not that afraid of animals except maybe of spiders because they are small and you don't always notice them. Saw a bobcat about a week ago and wasn't afraid at all but it wasn't after me so there was no need to be afraid. I was wishing it hadn't of ran off so fast. I wanted a picture.

I have more of a fear of extreme heights.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Living in England I'm fortunate that we have no major predators that pose a threat to people, as far as I'm aware I have no fears that I've found,yet.

I am wary of horses,or rather the rear end of them as I have been kicked by one when I was a child,but I still pet them and when given the chance ride as well.
I work at heights as well so that doesn't bother me, sometimes I can be 20 floors up in a cradle.

My brother is terrified of spiders and will not go anywhere near them.
In all honesty I find it strange, but I guess unless you have a fear of something it's hard to understand.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I have a fear of spiders, especially if I accidentally walk into their webs. I really freak out then. I dance about like a maniac, brushing myself down to make sure there are none on me.

I was at the letterbox one time, collecting my mail, when a huge huntsman dropped out of an overhead tree branch. Right. Onto. My. Hand. I'm sure the commuters going past had a good laugh at me dancing about like a maniac (which is always my response to spiders).

I'm also scared of big dogs and/or barking dogs. I had a couple of traumatic experiences with big dogs as a child, and I've never been the same since. Even when I'm going past a dog in a yard that it clearly can't get out of, I'll cross the street if it starts barking at me. I just can't deal with it.

Just one of many issues that need to be dealt with really. :D

wolfheart

Registered Member
I can kind of understand why people are afraid of large dogs, even more so if the dog is barking, if you are afraid of them then you could interpret it as aggression.
I grew up around large dogs,including alsations and doberman,rottweilers and a few other large breeds, I have had to break up little scuffles between dogs and don't really think about it, but I can see why some people would be afraid.

Growing up with animals of all sorts has probably helped me not have any fear of them, we kept snakes,spiders,lizards and all other kinds of things all the way through my childhood.

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
Growing up with animals of all sorts has probably helped me not have any fear of them, we kept snakes,spiders,lizards and all other kinds of things all the way through my childhood.

I am glad that I didn't know you as a kid..I guarantee you I would have never been to your house.

The only thing on this list that I never had a fear of is spiders and bugs. I just kill them with no problem.
I guess if you stop and think it maybe people have fear of these things because mentally we know somewhere in our minds that they may have a potential of harming us if we are careless.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I do wonder sometimes if I had been raised without being around all these different types of animals,or in a country with a higher amount of venomous and apex predators,would I still have no fear of them.

Would I have been naturally wary or afraid of snakes and spiders if I had not been around them from a young age, or is it because I have been around them, been taught about them and how to handle them that I am not afraid,but am respectful of them.

I have heard of parents projecting there fear of certain things,arachnids for instance,on to a child just because they themselves are afraid,so the child learns by association.

Or if you lived in an area with top apex predators such as lions would that be enough to have a natural fear of them.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Now if I lived around lions, tigers, grizzly bears or other larger bears and predators I would be afraid of them. They are not going to take off when they see you because they will be seeing lunch.

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
As everyone else here I am afraid of spiders and spider webs. I start jumping around also when I run into a web. . so I ask my girlfriend to please make sure there are none on my path as she is able to see them and I am not able to. . thankfully our spiders here are kind of not dangerous. . but we had a friend that was bitten maybe by a recluse. Those bites can really hurt. If you get bitten by one of these your supposed to see a doctor immediately for treatment. Cause they can cause damage to the skin. Most spiders I think aren't that harmful to people. Th widows and recluse are 2 to look out for.
I am scared of all snakes. I don't care how small it is. Keep them away from me. I am not scared of lizards. But I am not crazy about them either. I am afraid of scorpions even though I never seen one before. . was told they have a bite like a bee sting somewhat. . watch out for the brown bark scorpion. Need to see a doctor right away. Scorpions don't kill people. . but they will keep you hurting for days.
I read that a house cat or even a chicken can kill a scorpion. I was amazed to hear that one. But a cat needs to be careful not to get the stinger. I am afraid of bees of all kinds. But the bigger ones are even more of a carrier as a hornet. I am also afraid of heights but also very enclosed places. That not usually a problem outside. I don’t know much about the outdoors . so I would not be prepared for most any situation being outside of the city. . the city is where I know how to survive and live. . the country is for those who know better.

wolfheart

Registered Member
We have only one native venomous snake in England,the viper or Adder as they are called here, they are not many deaths by these snakes but the bites can be extremely painful.
My older brother was bitten a couple of years back and ended up in the hospital,his tounge swelled up cutting off his airway and you could visibly see the venom tract going from thumb,up the arm and across the chest.

He still has no feeling in the area he was bitten as the venom is necrotic and kills the flesh around the wound.

As for bees and wasps I find them to be more of an annoying then anything else, mainly because I have had to clear a couple of hives out of the garden shed.

Of course I could understand a fear of bees if you are allergic to.the stings, as anaphaltic shock is not a nice thing.

We also had a spate of spiders bites last year from a plague of false widow spiders, honestly I can't recall if any of them were serious or not.