• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you have a good, oh whats it called again?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I seem to have a brain that if useless information is needed I will remember it but give me something that seems simple to others or remembering the steps of something my memory goes blank. It annoys me because I am not stupid but having a bad memory makes it look like I am. It also means I require to have re-assurance on some things and need to re ask and I am sure people see this as that I am either not listening or I am stupid. I do listen I just find it hard to remember things at times.

Are you the same? Can you remember some things clear as day but not others?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
When it comes to sports I can remember players shoe sizes. For some reason sports stats or moments register extremely clear to me, and stays in my memory for a long time. But other things not so much, it's strange how it works some times. Maybe it's because I enjoy discussing sports, and since it's so fascinating to me it just stays in there.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I think everyone has moments where their brain short-circuits and they just can't bring to mind what they're looking to. Happens to me all the time. The worst is when a coworker or someone I interact with all the time's name just completely fails to materialize in my head when I go to say it, and I'm left trying to fake like I didn't completely, if only momentarily, forget their name.

DMorgan

I do not remember things most of the times. Like sometimes i lost my glasses and many times my keys and pen. I just completely forgot where i put them. And that is just not it i also some times forgot about my clothes, where i put them after .

stripes

Registered Member
I have a terrible memory. I used to have a fantastic one, but in the past few years it's failed me more and more. Thank goodness for diaries, notepads and post-its.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Sometimes I wonder...I have a great mind about some things (like with what I learned about social work in school) and then I hear people rattling off details from years upon years ago and I think that my brain must be mush.

Two prime examples: 1. This morning I was asking my Mom about her grandmother...as she told me stories about her, she could remember the tiniest details. I was thinking "How?!" haha. 2. An ex girlfriend of mine, when we were still in touch as friends, used to be able to name events from 10 years ago and what shirt I was wearing, etc. I was dumbfounded.

I guess with me, as with BR and sports stats, it just depends on what I'm trying to remember. Pro Wrestling, stuff I learned in school, etc. come back to me easily...other details don't.

Dabs

Registered Member
I happen to think my mind works quite well still. But, my mind might say otherwise. I am good with birthdays, anniversaries, death dates, other special dates- never forget stuff like that. I am the first to send out birthday cards and etc. on those dates. I have never lost or misplaced my keys, but there are some memories that are kind of foggy to me. I honestly do not remember any part of my life before the second grade tho. I have a feeling it wasn't good, so it's prolly best. And a few times I have found myself wandering, thinking- what was it I was going to do? It happens.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think that I have a really good memory. I can remember 9 chunks of information in my immediate memory (the standard is 7 give or take 2).

Other than that I am extremely good at remembering movie quotes, just the other night I was watching Star Wars and I kid you not I knew almost every line placed perfectly in the right spot.

Give me anything but Spanish (or other foreign language for that matter) and math and I will probably be able to remember things super well even over extended periods of time.

I collect old American coins and I can remember just about anything about them (price, mint mark, year, composition, history of the coin, etc.), it's not hard.

I also build computers and study hardware on a pretty consistent basis, I can remember lots of stuff about computers too and I am never wrong. I could tell you the exact specifications of any computer in my house (even the ones that aren't mine).

All of this is fairly useless information to know but I know it. I think everybody knows a lot about at least one subject that is fairly useless. But then again what exactly constitutes useless?

Hiei

The Hierophant
I take ginkgo biloba on a daily basis and I can tell you that it helps my memory for sure. I can recall random bits of information months past when I feel I should be able to.

I actually pride myself on remembering peoples names. Even if someone only tells me their name once, I'll remember it. Hell, they don't even have to say their name, if they have a name tag.

I work in a grocery store so there's tons of random pieces of information that I need to remember. When things are going on/coming off sale, sales prices, which displays need to be changed and what they're changing to, sales history of any specific item, order history of any specific item, and so on. But, I also find that it helps build a firm base with the regular customers that come to my store if I ask, for instance, how their sick child is doing, even the next day.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
My memory is generally good and I have excellent (tho some find weird) mnemonics. I like associations and stuff. However I do have those "mental block" abt specific details. I haven't completely forgotten them, just a kink which makes my memory ability useless for certain minutes, sometimes crucial for spontaneity purposes, but the OC in me would try to remember it later when the block is gone, even if recalling isn't anymore useful.