• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you follow Trends?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I think it is natural when you are in your teen years to want to follow trends, I think it helps to to fall in with people in an attempt to be accepted and I guess I always figured I would grow out of it but if anything being older and therefore having a disposable income actually makes it worse.

What got me onto thinking about this was talking to someone in work today about a Samsung Galaxy Tab, the person in question has an iPad and we discussed the merits of both, a few hours later with my boss who also wishes to have an iPad said how I should and the guy I had recently spoke to changed his entire argument, I didn't mention it because I couldn't be bothered but it got me to think "why did you do that? are you that pathetic you feel the need to change your opinion because someone else disagrees with me?" and thing is it doesn't stop there, another person in work bought an Xbox360 just because others told him his PS3 was rubbish.

I like to think I don't tend to follow trends or the crowd and attempt to make my own mind up but do you think it is something ever truely stops? Is it a sign of being weak minded or simply wishing to fit in and not wanting to be embarrassed?

Bliss

Sally Twit
Like you say, it's natural in your teen years but I like to think people grow out of that.
I don't like to be part of a trend. I like to be my own person. Clothing for example. If there's something I notice a lot of people wearing I won't run out and get it for myself. I wear what I feel comfortable in, not what the latest fashion magazine is telling women what they should be wearing.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I love low rise pants! I hope they never go away. I also love the streaky color hair styling. Certain make up trends appeal to me too. Like bold upper eyeliner. I like french manicures and square tips but I only will go with my real nails. But my house decor I have my own style as well as my garden. And for technology....I don't care about cell phones. But I love WiFi and fast computers. For cars I'm totally loving mini coopers, and some of the hatchback mazdas. I try to keep up on all the latest tennis stuff too.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Being the weirdo that I was and am I used to not follow trends to try and not fit in while in high school. I have never cared what was cool or "in" and always just did what I wanted and what I liked and that hasn't changed since I've been an adult. I used to think it was funny how everyone what get so excited about the new cool thing and I would just point and stare and laugh at their stupidity. Just the way I was, I never gave a crap and it brought me enjoyement to not do what everyone else did. Again, I'm weird, sue me.

Everyone tells me hey, you should get an IPOD. Why should I do that? Because everyone else is? My CD player works perfectly fine. Or hey, you should get TEVO or one of those deals but I don't see the point in doing that either. Maybe eventually I'll give in these days but I'll never ever do something just because tha'ts what I'm "supposed" to do.
------
Except with the blackberry purchase

I got suckered in on that one haha

Last edited:

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Except with the blackberry purchase

I got suckered in on that one haha
:madame:

I don't try to follow trends since I've grown out of it and only ever did due to peer pressure (easily led), but I also think it's almost as bad to not do something just because everyone else is and you want to be different. I mean, sometimes things are popular for a reason, and if the only thing stopping you from getting/doing it is that you don't want to look like a sheep, then I don't really get that. Kevin Mueller is a weeeeiiiiirrrrrddddooooooo :cute:

As for things like clothing, I'm happy when things I like come back in style because it means I can find them easier in stores. But I guess I have to admit that if I see everyone wearing something then I won't get it even if I really liked it, because it makes me cringe to see everybody the same. So I guess I'm a hypocrite there with what I just said above haha.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
:madame:

I don't try to follow trends since I've grown out of it and only ever did due to peer pressure (easily led), but I also think it's almost as bad to not do something just because everyone else is and you want to be different. I mean, sometimes things are popular for a reason, and if the only thing stopping you from getting/doing it is that you don't want to look like a sheep, then I don't really get that. Kevin Mueller is a weeeeiiiiirrrrrddddooooooo :cute:

As for things like clothing, I'm happy when things I like come back in style because it means I can find them easier in stores. But I guess I have to admit that if I see everyone wearing something then I won't get it even if I really liked it, because it makes me cringe to see everybody the same. So I guess I'm a hypocrite there with what I just said above haha.
You're right it was weird but thankfully I grew out of that haha. Now days I am little more willing but I still won't just buy for the sake of doing so because everrrryoooone else is. High school was different, I was young, oh well, it's funny to look back on, haha

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I am 17, the age where one is well known to follow trends but I grew out of that three years ago. I am not the one to follow trends, I have my own trend, I hate following trends just because it makes me fit in with others.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
The only trend I like to follow is all about electronics & technology.
I always want to have the latest stuff...not because other people have it but because I'm always curious to see how new stuff works. I don't usually care what other people have as long as I feel good with what I have.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Naw, I don't follow trends. Frankly, I look unconvincing if I try to. Better just to be yourself and just like what you like without embarassment or shame.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some comics to read...

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I believe everyone follows a trend in some shape or form. Some might be less extreme than others, but I believe we're all guilty of doing it. I'm not bad like I used to be in High School, which is understandable since everyone is trying to fit in, and you don't want to look different than anyone else since you'll stick out like a rotten tomato. But today, I try to set my own style, but obviously there's going to be a lot of people out there with similar ones.