Do you feel safe in gun-free zones?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, May 2, 2009.

?

Do you feel safe in gun-free zones?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

How do you feel about gun free zones?

Would/do you feel comfortable working, shopping, or going to school in gun free zones?

I would not. I might shop in a gun free mall now and then but I won't spend much time there. I definitely wouldn't work or go to school in a gun free zone. I wouldn't feel safe knowing that nobody would be able to stop a shooting spree should it start up.

Here's some examples of what I am talking about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following is a picture from Virginia Tech, a gun free zone:

[​IMG]

The following is a picture of somebody who shot up a mall that I used to shop in all the time, killing 8 people, many were friends of people I know in real life. It happened in a gun free mall. Apparently gun's don't vanish into thin air when brought to gun free zones...

[​IMG]

FOXNews.com - Media Coverage of Mall Shooting Fails to Reveal Mall's Gun-Free-Zone Status - Opinion

So, in closing, no, I would never work or go to school in a gun free zone. I am highly disinclined to shop at gun free malls too.

It should be noted that just about every mass shooting that has taken place in the past 10 years has taken place in a gun free zone.

Last edited: May 3, 2009

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

If I can legally carry in a "gun free zone" I still do. Just because a mall has a sign, doesn't mean it holds legal water.

Now in a school or other place where signs hold legal water, I tend to avoid those places. States that I have to disarm I tend to avoid as well.

I still want to hear one solid argument on how a sign will stop a crazed person from bringing a gun onto said property and shooting the place up.

3. Mirage

Excuse me but how is this propaganda? I personally know people who lost friends in "gun free zones". Guess how they were killed? By guns, taken into "gun free zones". That's a fact, not propaganda.

Are you honestly saying that you feel safe in an area where you know that the only people with guns will be people who want to kill as many people as possible in a shooting spree?

It's also a fact that most of the bigger mass shooting in the past 10 years have taken place in gun free zones. Some even took place in gun free countries.

There's no propaganda here, just common sense and facts.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  4. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

It's funny...I have been alive for 26 years and never once in my entire life has this thought ever come into my head. I dont notice signs and quite frankly, I dont care.

So yeah, I feel safe in gun free zones. I mean I guess I'd have too considering it's never been a choice I've ever had to make.

5. pro2A

Has anyone noticed the bulk of school shootings were after the 1994 Brady bill was passed where guns were outlawed in schools... only then did the rise in school shootings increase, not decrease.

Between 1966 and 1994 there were only 14 school shootings in 28 years.

After the 1994 ban there have been 43 school shootings in 15 years...

Looks like those signs really helped :rolleyes:

Link

6. Mirage

Here's an interesting commentary on the subject:

Nugent: Gun-free zones are recipe for disaster - CNN.com

As far as I'm concerned it's indisputable, but feel free to quote parts of it and tell me why they are wrong.

Some key parts:

A gun free zone might as well be called a "Killing spree zone". That's where all these people go for nice and easy kills.

What about a "crime free zone"? Would that work? :lol:

Gun free means that law abiding citizens who could stop a shooter in his/her tracks are not able to do so. It doesn't stop people intent on shooting people. If anything it encourages them.

If you were wanting to take out as many people as possible in a shooting spree, would you go to a place where you knew you'd be able to hit screaming/running/cowering targets or to a place where literally anybody could pull a gun out and stop you dead in your tracks?

7. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Is there really that many guns/killing/whatever where you all live that u need signs? I dont think I've ever even seen a real gun in person!

Hopefully I didnt just jinx myself.

8. pro2A

Now there is an idea. And make the signs really big so the criminals know they can't commit crimes in those areas...

Wow you are brilliant Hybrix :lol:

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Nice to see you put some thought into your reply beyond the flame level. :)

It's easy to understand: Anyone who feels safe in a gun-free zone does not understand human nature and clearly has not read the news in the past fifty years. Criminals are not rational nor law abiding, all this sign does is make the legal gun owners leave their guns at home.

Gun-free zones are there to give the illusion of safety, not actual safety.

Let's just say this: If this theory is believed to help prevent crime, why aren't houses labeled robbery-free zones? Why aren't people wearing signs labeled rape-free zones? What about roads labeled "wreckless driving-free zones"?

CaptainObvious likes this.
  10. pro2A

No, but there are enough guns in the good guys hands that the bad guys think twice ;)