Do you feel better after crying or think its pointless

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Not sure how many people cry here or I'm not even sure how many people will actually admit it lol but here goes. I have seen many people feel better after crying but why do we cry?? Do you think it helps or do you think it's pointless to feel that emotion IYHO?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it depends what it is. When my grandpa died I cried because he was a huge part of my life. I don't really cry for much but for something like that I definitely admit I've done it.

Didn't necessarily make me feel better...I just had no other choice.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I cry all the freakin time. Usually it makes me feel better because it's cathartic. It's good to get the emotions out otherwise I'll blow up.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Generally I feel worse after crying, on those rare occasions I do, because it always gives me a migraine straight afterwards that doesn't go away unless I sleep. Emotionally it does help, but the benefits don't outweigh how bad the migraine is.

nicolenicky

Registered Member
i always feel better after crying to.. i dont know why it helps i wonder if it releases some hormones or something in ur brain..

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
Usually when I break down in tears its because of a close personal death(family or friend), other than that the other breaking point would be if I was really stressed and nothing I did worked to get out of it. I've had several of those moments where I was so down, I got depressed and cried and slept. Those are what I call my "rock bottom" days.

~Shwa

Th3Pr3Tz3l

Registered Member
I rarely cry. I've been to three funerals and haven't cried at one despite caring about the people in the casket very much. I always thought I was odd and felt guilty that I didn't cry when I was expected to.

But when I do cry I find it helps me feel better :)

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
When I cry it takes me a long time to get over the tearful state. And that's because I constantly think of what caused me to cry in the first place. Since I'm in such a yicky mood when I cry I find that by the time I'm done, it was kind of pointless.
But it does help get out the emotions and once I finish (though it takes time) I won't look back on it and start crying again.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
I had recently teared up while watching a movie, and another time while reading a book. Just a tear or two, but I had been talking to people about how showing/releasing emotion, even in small senses such as these, is helpful physically and mentally. Even if the sadness doesn't leave immediately (which it rarely does), this is a natural and essential part of humanity, in my opinion.

As far as full on crying, I personally haven't in a very long time. I think my Grandma's funeral...my brother (the oldest one that is a priest) gave a really touching homily and I just had lost it from then on, lol. Typically with things involving me - health issues, feeling lonely a certain day, etc. - usually don't cause me to cry.

Emotion and release will never be pointless, it's just up to us to define how much of a role they play in our lives.

Good idea for a thread, CB!