Do you count during your workout session?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by viLky, Jul 22, 2009.

?

Do you count during your workout?

1. Yes

78.6%
  2. No

14.3%
  3. Other (different method)

7.1%
  1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

When you do push-ups, sit-ups or any other type of workout, do you find yourself counting how many you're doing?

Not here. Each time I begin to count while working out it feels like it's depleting my energy. It's strange, but I feel as if I can do many more sit-ups, jumping jacks and other exercises if I just focus on the sit-up rather than the counting. That, and I usually stop once I can't do anymore. For some reason counting and doing a workout doesn't help me.

How about yourself, do you count when working out?

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I can't not count when I'm working out. It might be a function of OCD-type behaviors though.

3. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Counting is essential for me. How else do I know if I'm improving each workout or not?

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Or people who want a consistent, effective workout.

It's silly to not set a routine for yourself if you're looking for a particular effect in your exercising.

5. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Speak for yourself. Pssf, having a routine has be get bored, and I'm not surprise to hear stories about people quitting their gym because it's either a drag or constantly the same thing.

Counting, for me, is like looking at the clock when you're at school. Every second feels like a minute. When I workout I just focus on getting sore and moving onto a different part of my body.

6. Merc

Going to the gym is boring in the first place. People who can't keep up a routine will never get in the shape they want to and will never able to measure their needs or changes. No one is suggesting counting is good because they enjoy boredom, they suggest it because it's the only way aside from an expensive personal trainer to track your progress and plan for more.

7. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I always count, no matter what I'm doing, I count reps, and sets, and occasionally I'll time my sit ups and pushups because I'm a sprinter so I need to get the full range of motion as quickly as possible to build explosiveness.

Not counting while doing reps of anything is absolutely ridiculous, Cons is right, you have no way of knowing whether or not you're improving.

8. viLky

viLky ykLiv

That's the thing, if you keep going until you can't go any longer then does it matter if you count or not? Chances are that if your body can't do anymore after the workout then you're bound to get some sort of result.

Whether you count or not is fine, but ex: if you do 10 push-ups in 10 reps and at the end of that you still feel fine, why not do more until you really feel it?

Eh, at the end of the day we just have different techniques.

9. Merc

Exactly vilky, so keep counting past 10 so you know where you stand!

I don't know why it's such a foreign concept to count during exercise. I mean, I did the whole "workout until sore" thing and all it did was ruin my workout schedule because I'd be sore for a day and a half and lose motivation after two days of rest to return. Being able to measure your abilities allows you to work out consistently and effectively.

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

It depends on what sort of workout you want to do. I would always exhaust my muscles until they couldn't go anymore, because I wanted to rip what I had and build more at the time.

However, even when I was exhausting them, I still counted to get an idea of where in my routine it happened...so that I would know how much I am progressing by.

Plus, even when I was exhausting my muscles, I did it by increasing weight, not reps, so I still needed to know the count.