Do you chimp?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Chimping is a term used in digital photography (especially when using a digital single-lens reflex camera) to describe the habit of checking every photo on the on-camera display (LCD) immediately after capture.

I do and I waste battery life because of that too. :D I thought it was typical error of an amateur but apparently some pros do it too.

Turbo

Registered Member
its actually a good thing for pros. how much time and film was wasted over the years on bad shots. now you can check immediately and redo it if necessary.

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
its actually a good thing for pros. how much time and film was wasted over the years on bad shots. now you can check immediately and redo it if necessary.
I'd argue that with a real pro will know if they got the shot and not need to check everyone. How would it look to be doing a photo shoot and have to stop in between each shot for the photographer to look at the back of the camera.

When I'm messing around I'll look at it every few shots, but when I'm doing a shoot, I normally don't look at the back until I'm done and home and uploading them to my computer. Sometimes, I'm skim through them before we leave, but not normally, mostly cause I don't want the person I'm photographing to ask if they can see, I like making them wait till they see the fully edited file.

Turbo

Registered Member
i see your point, but sometimes something happens as you click and knowing immediately if it screwed up the picture is a plus opposed to waiting until later and then having an "oh shit" moment.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's the only way to do it. I check photos after each click when I can, unless I'm taking a bunch in a row. Then I'll just check them all right after.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Kiwi is right. Time is money no matter where you are. When you are a high dollar pro photographer you gotta maintain a time frame. So I can understand how it would make sense to just fly through continuous shots until you are finished and then only stick with the good ones.

By stopping to look at each pic after its been taken would really kill the mood/atmosphere of a live shoot. Geeeze havent you ever watched America's next top model? hahaha

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
Kiwi is right. Time is money no matter where you are. When you are a high dollar pro photographer you gotta maintain a time frame. So I can understand how it would make sense to just fly through continuous shots until you are finished and then only stick with the good ones.

By stopping to look at each pic after its been taken would really kill the mood/atmosphere of a live shoot. Geeeze havent you ever watched America's next top model? hahaha
Not only that, but I wouldn't be able to put much trust in my photographer if they had to check each shot to know if they got it, if they have the talent and experience, they'll just know.

bball4life

Alfred :: Gotham Hero
i chimp. i really dont really consider it an "error" in casual picture taking, but yeah, in a professional photo shoot that would be a problem.