Do you believe that you are "saved"?

So, after spending some time in the "Belief In The Bible" thread, I realized that believing the Bible to be God's Word is not nearly important as some other beliefs.

So my question for you is this: If you believe in Heaven and Hell, or similar afterlife situations, where do you believe you will go and why? (The answer to "and why?" is most important)

I'll go first. I believe Hell is a place of eternal torment due to a complete separation from God, who is the source of Love and Happiness. I believe all humans (including myself, excluding Jesus) have fallen short of the Glory of God, and were it not for the saving work on the cross we would all deserve eternal retribution, for God's Justice demands perfect Righteousness, which we have not on our own steam. Therefore, I believe God the Son took on flesh and lived perfectly here on Earth as a man (Jesus), and was separated from the Father for 3 hours on the cross and then died a physical death. This was to pay the penalty for all of humanity's sin. I have faith that Jesus has purchased me from the slave market of sin, and payed the price for my sins. I also believe that my salvation is completely a gift by God's Grace, not of works, lest I should boast, and I am eternally thankful.

Whew. alright, your turn :)

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Why did God create such a horrible place of torment and eternal suffering if he teaches that all sinners must do is repent and place faith in him? If the afterlife is contiguous, why is his grace eliminated in half of the latter? And how, if nobody has ever come back to tell us in detail, do we determine what is sufficient following of God's Majesty? How do you yourself know you meet it, and others do not? How do you make that determination?

Why did God create such a horrible place of torment and eternal suffering if he teaches that all sinners must do is repent and place faith in him?
- Because His infinite Justice demands infinite judgment. Those who do not acknowledge their need for salvation have essentially embraced sin and completely rejected God. Man is drowning by his own choosing, and God is holding out a stick for man to embrace, but many men choose to continue drowning. God will only exercise His mercy for so long, for His perfect justice demands retribution. What His righteousness rejects His justice must condemn.

If the afterlife is contiguous, why is his grace eliminated in half of the latter?
- I don't understand the question. The afterlife is contiguous? What do you mean? And what are you referring to by "the latter"?

And how, if nobody has ever come back to tell us in detail, do we determine what is sufficient following of God's Majesty? How do you yourself know you meet it, and others do not? How do you make that determination?
- This question is quite irrelevant. The whole point is that there is no amount of "good works" that man can do that will be sufficient enough to gain salvation. "For by Grace you have been saved, through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift from God; not as a result of works, so that no man can boast." - Eph 2:8.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I'm just going to copy and paste an answer I just wrote in another thread:

Perhaps when we die we reach something akin to nirvana and simply cease as an individual conscious, unique personality, particular set of memories, etc; or perhaps something else entirely happens. I have no idea, but whatever happens, I don't imagine it's awful.

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member
... or perhaps something else entirely happens. I have no idea, but whatever happens, I don't imagine it's awful.
- Key words: "I have no idea" and "imagine".

I'm not saying that life after death can be proven, but if there was overwhelming evidence for the Bible being God's Word and for the legitimacy of Jesus' claims, would you honestly want to see the evidence, or remain unaware?

ExpectantlyIronic

FutureTrackStar said:
- Key words: "I have no idea" and "imagine".
If I were claiming absolute knowledge about the nature of death, I'm afraid I wouldn't believe myself, which would be quite the conundrum. If you're claiming as much, then I don't believe you.

FutureTrackStar said:
I'm not saying that life after death can be proven, but if there was overwhelming evidence for the Bible being God's Word and for the legitimacy of Jesus' claims, would you honestly want to see the evidence, or remain unaware?
There isn't overwhelming evidence for as much. In fact, there's no reason to believe as much, all things considered.

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member
There isn't overwhelming evidence for as much. In fact, there's no reason to believe as much, all things considered.
- Firstly, it was a hypothetical question, which is why I said "if", which means your answers should assume that the hypothetical scenario exists.

Secondly... have you actually spent 30 years investigating all the evidence and counter-evidence for and against the Bible? I highly doubt it.

ExpectantlyIronic

FutureTrackStar said:
Firstly, it was a hypothetical question, which is why I said "if", which means your answers should assume that the hypothetical scenario exists.
I figured it was more of a rhetorical question.

Secondly... have you actually spent 30 years investigating all the evidence and counter-evidence for and against the Bible? I highly doubt it.
No, but this guy has, if you're going to try and pull rank on me. And this one and this one.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
It doesn't take thirty years for an objective researcher to discover what the Bible is. Only someone with a single-minded agenda could ignore the mountain of intuitive and readily available evidence reducing literalism to a murmur on the dim outer fringes of academia.

And aren't you, like, 17?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I believe Hell is a place of eternal torment due to a complete separation from God, who is the source of Love and Happiness. I believe all humans (including myself, excluding Jesus) have fallen short of the Glory of God, and were it not for the saving work on the cross we would all deserve eternal retribution, for God's Justice demands perfect Righteousness, which we have not on our own steam. Therefore, I believe God the Son took on flesh and lived perfectly here on Earth as a man (Jesus), and was separated from the Father for 3 hours on the cross and then died a physical death. This was to pay the penalty for all of humanity's sin. I have faith that Jesus has purchased me from the slave market of sin, and payed the price for my sins. I also believe that my salvation is completely a gift by God's Grace, not of works, lest I should boast, and I am eternally thankful.

...yeah, I know I just copied what he said.

I honestly hope that friends and family of mine in RL and IL can see what God has done for them and will repent and believe. I believe Hell is a horrible place and is eternal and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I read today that Michael Jackson met with gospel singer Andrae Crouch very soon before he died and was given the good news at the meeting. I hope even MJ, who may have done some horrible things on Earth, is with the Savior today.