Do you believe in Tanking?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Lets say your team as no chance of making the playoffs with 20 games or so left(NHL,NBA,MLB) do you believe that this team should start tanking the season so they get a better draft pick in the upcoming draft? Or they should play the game 100% every night they step onto the court?

2. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I think they should play 100% of their games with 100% everything.

A draft picks is JUST a draft pick.

Just take a look at the NFL.. I know you didn't mention it, but I will.. Ryan Leaf.. the future QB of the Chargers? A bust.. Tom Brady.. a 6th round.. or was it 7th round pick that has been to 4 Super Bowls and won 3.

3. Babe_Ruth

I disagree with you a number one draft pick can be huge. Just take the Cavaliers for example, they sucked for so many years, and they supposely tanked the season and they got LeBron James, and now look at them now, they are the best team in the Eastern Conference.

So a high draft pick can change the fortune of a struggling team.

But I know what you mean with Leaf, sometimes those number one picks can become a bust.

4. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Like Kwame Brown or Chris Olowokandi? Goodness. Draft picks do matter though. More often than not, better players are earlier in the draft. It just makes sense.

As for tanking, I probably would too, for the benefit of the team. If there is no hope, then might as well start thinking about the future. It would suck horribly for fans to watch, but a team could argue that they're just prepping for the future.

I wouldn't say go 100% every game or completely tank, but rater just rest the star players more often.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Unfortunately the professional leagues are set up to reward tanking since the worst teams are given the top draft picks. However, I think every player and every team should play hard no matter the situation. You're getting paid (at least in the pros) to entertain the fans. Give the fans what they want to see. Play hard because you love the game. Play hard because you have pride.

6. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

That's why there's a lottery in the NBA and a lottery for the first three picks in the NHL...to deter people from doing this.

How can you blame them though? It's unprofessional but it's hard for me to say I wouldnt my team to do that if they could land a prized draftpick.

7. Babe_Ruth

I agree with you Echoes, but you have to take into consideration that a lot of those fans want their team to lose the most games as possible if they have no chance of making the playoffs, because they want to get the next big star in the draft.

I'll use the Cavaliers once again, I am sure the fans wanted the Cavs to lose all their games because they knew they would have a better chance to get LeBron James, and if they got him, they knew the fortune of the franchise would turn around. Which is true, just look at them since he joined the league.

8. Major

1. I'd have to question whether or not those people are actually fans. In my opinion, no fan ever roots for his team to lose, no matter the circumstances.

2. Losing games in the NBA does not guarantee you the #1 draft pick. In fact, the worst team in the league does NOT get the #1 pick more often than not.

3. The #1 pick is no guaranteed success. In fact, the #1 pick rarely turns out to be the best player in the draft. A player like LeBron James is exceptionally rare.

9. Babe_Ruth

I never said that the team with the most loses get the automatic first overall pick in the NBA, but there chances are stronger if they do.

I want my team to win every game, but when I know they don't have a chance to making the playoffs, then I want them to lose games so they get a better draft pick, especially if my team doesn't have the money to go get the high prize free agents. Thats the only way they can build their team, and that is by being smart in the draft, and developing those good draft picks.

I agree that not all the first overall picks become superstars, but let's see who were the top first picks from 2005-1990. I think a player needs at least four years in the league till you can actually say if he's a bust or not.

So here we go.

2005: Andrew Bogut(average)
    2004: Dwight Howard(superstar)
    2003: LeBron James(superstar)
    2002: Yao Ming(superstar)
    2001: Kwame Brown(bust)
    2000: Kenyan Martin( average)
    1999: Elton Brand(superstar)
    1998: Michael Olowokandi(bust)
    1997: Tim Duncan(superstar)
    1996: Allen Iverson(superstar)
    1995: Joe Smith(bust)
    1994: Glenn Robinson(average)
    1993: Chris Webber(superstar)
    1992: Shaquille O'Neal(superstar)
    1991: Larry Johnson(star)
    1990: Derrick Coleman(star)

Eight of those picks are superstars, a couple of them are stars, and a few of them are average, and a couple are bust. So I think you get a good player when you receiver the number one pick.

10. Major

I think you were a little too generous with your superstar ratings. How many of those players have had much playoff success?

Look at the Detroit Lions. They get a high draft pick every single year and yet they never improve. As long as you're smart with your draft picks, like the Baltimore Ravens, you don't need a high pick.

Regardless, this is just another reason why I like college better. There's never any benefit to losing. Winning more games will bring in better recruits.