Do you believe in soul mates?

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by Unity, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Unity

Unity Mary Poppins, y'all! Staff Member

Do you believe in soul mates? Is there someone out there for everyone?

Or, are these simply old wives' tales?

Do you think that peoples' opinions on this matter are shaped by their own luck in love? I know that when I was in high school and more of a romantic, I used to think that there was someone out there for everyone and destiny was just waiting to play out. Now, I'm not so sure about all of that.

2. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I really hope it's not true.

I've met two women in my life that seemed absolutely perfect. One was married and one I fucked things up with. So, yeah, if there's really such a thing.... I may be shit out of luck and that seems unfair, even if partially my fault. Haha.

So.... no, please?

Unity likes this.
  3. thealigator

thealigator Registered Member

I can see both sides of argument. I think for some the idea of not having a soulmate can be incredibly disconcerting and almost panic inducing. To not have someone you will eventually be with? That can be crushing.

On the other hand, if you do believe this you have the potential to set yourself to be very lonely either because you never find who you are looking for or you find the perfect person and dismiss them.

I don't believe in them no but I would never wish to deter anyone for believing it.

4. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

Yes and no. I mean I like the idea but I don't really believe that two people across the globe are destined to find each other and be together, at least not anymore anyways. (@Rebeccaaa and @Millz don't count because they're unicorns.) I do believe that if you're with the right person, your love can last forever and that's good enough. There's probably thousands of people you could happily spend your life with in love.

But like I said, I like the idea of it. While love has been the one thing that's hurt me the most, it's probably also the one thing that's made me feel alive... Or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment. Either/or.

Millz likes this.
  5. Envy

Envy Band Nerd ♫

I don't believe in fate or anything like that, so a single soulmate is kind of silly to me. I believe that we might find someone who feels like a soul mate, but in reality there are probably a large number of people out there that would fit that description if we got to know them. We're just wired in such a way that very few people we will run into in a lifetime will come anywhere close to that category.

The harsh reality of life is that we won't always run into those people, too.

6. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Registered Member

I believe in it on some level. But I don't think a soulmate is necessarily someone you can be romantically involved with. I think I've found my soulmate, but she's my friend. We understand each other on such a deep level that it's sometimes scary. In fact, we can even feel if the other person is going through a rough patch from miles away.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

There's a better chance of us finding cheese on the moon.

People choose to believe these things to shrug off shortcomings in their relationships. "Oh well, they're my soulmate, we were meant for each other!" I believe in compatibility, but as delightful as the concept is, the idea of one person being the exact match to you so much that it's "written in the stars" is fruitless.

8. tysmith

tysmith Registered Member

Yeah of course. I do believe in soul mates. Someone is made for everyone somewhere in this world.