Do you believe in Life After Death?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vidic15, Jun 26, 2007.

?

Do you believe in LIfe After Death?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Couple of members were talking about not beliving in Life After Death and I made a poll about this.

Do you guys believe in after death?

As for me, I don't. I'll only believe in it when I die...

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't think you're snuffed out like a candle when you die, so i guess my answer is yes.

3. As far as I'm concerned, when you die you become wormfood :yes:
    The idea that we are immortal is rather ludicrous(sp?) if you stop to think about it.

I think the concept of not existing is very hard for humans to get there heads around, which is why different cultures throughout history have believed in some form of life after death.

Even if you don't believe in L.A.D, do you like the idea of it? Personally, I don't. (for reasons probably best left to the religious forum).

4. Corona

Corona Registered Member

No, when we die we are gone. Dust in the wind so to speak.

5. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

We die , We go in the ground , We rot. Thats about it.

6. Corona

Corona Registered Member

You godless liberal freedom hating terrorist.

I agree with you.

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

yup. I don't really like the fact that I'll really be gone one day. Call me selfish, but I'm really curious to see how the world turns out. I want to stick around.

oh yeah. I'm pretty undecided, but leaning more to the "no such thing as life-after-death" side.

8. Our bodies are only a temporary home for who we really are (our souls). Our souls do not die. They go on.

9. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Conscious experience strikes me as some queer manifestation of the bundle of our different thoughts. I don't think it makes sense to describe it as being caused per se by physical phenomena, but there is no question about there being a correspondence between what we consciously experience and what our brain is doing. Even if we can't give a physical account for why we should experience any feeling of being at all (consciousness), we will almost certainly be able to provide one for all the contents of that experience. That's a bit misleading, as consciousness is nothing besides its contents, but it is only those contents understood from the third person (in a manner of speaking) that we can clearly get a scientific grasp on. If they are explainable in such a way, and I'm certain they will be, then it seems that when the brain stops functioning, there is nothing left to be the content of consciousness, and as such it will be snuffed as well (whatever the hell it is).

It is a bit of a mystery how human intelligence comes about, and how the brain might be responsible for all our different behaviors, but it seems to be one that can be solved. Intelligence, for example, seems to be the result automatic association between invariant memories formed from the strengthening of the synapses between neurons. I wish I could explain it more clearly then that without making this post ridiculously long, but I'm not that good of a writer. The point is that there is every reason to suspect that our thoughts, feelings, etc; are all the result of physical circumstances that cease to be when we die. We make a mistake when we imagine such functions to be more complex then they are. It's only the problem of consciousness that is so bloody difficult to solve, and that's partially because consciousness seems so utterly useless when we can find a physical explanation for everything else.

So yeah, I don't think there's life after death. It's difficult to imagine what the hell we might be without our memories, capacity for thought, and emotions. Maybe we merge with some universal feeling of being, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

10. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

Thanks Corona man.