• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hmmm... Do you believe in fate?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
This is one of those subjects where religion and philosophy inevitably tie together, but I decided to approach it from more of the perspective of the latter. Feel free to discuss both in here, though.

I have three questions on the subject for you to get things started:

1. Do you believe in fate, that everything is predetermined?

2. Do you believe that, as it is said, "everything happens for a reason?"

3. To tie the two together, is it possible that fate exists without reason?

StewedParrot

Registered Member
[SARCASM]Only on Tuesdays![/SARCASM]
i think that we create our own fate. But this one is hard for me. sometimes when i think i got things figured out, my mind does a flip on me just for sh!ts and giggles and i am sent back to the drawing board.

i think a predetermined fate would be boring. For the Gods and Humans alike. Maybe foresight is possible on some kind of conscious level that we don't understand. I have always pondered if time is just an illusion of sorts.

But to make sure that i answered your questions...

1. no
2. yes, i think things happen for a reason.
3. I don't think so.

I think that we project and create our own fate, but i do consider foresight a possibility.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I really don't believe in fate, good or bad, events usually happen because of things that you have done to bring it on. There are times that fate happens without reason. You did nothing to deserve it but it happens anyway. I think that's just life.

spacemonkey

Registered Member
fate... no... choice... yes...

fate is a reaction from the choices we make in life... I can't help but think of that scene from the second matrix when neo is talking to the oracle she says... "you didn't come here to make the choice... you came here to understand why..."... that statement supports fate more than choice in my opinion... however... even though the choice was not made at that point in time... the choice was still made...

but by who...? ahhhhh... this questiona making my head hurt...

i'm gonna go back on my original answer and say... i'm not exactly sure... I would like to be in control of my own life... but the idea of everything that i'm going to do is predetermined... there's sort of a nagging comfort in that idea...

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I do believe in some sort of fate because some things are just in the cards for you and some aren't. People have the ability to realize their full "fate" or they can choose not to. I don't really know how to explain it. It ends up seeming really arbitrary.

I don't think everything happens for a reason though. To me it only goes in one direction. Everything happens because you did or didn't do something. There's not infinite effect to your life without a cause. You can't just sit around doing nothing and have everything play out and say it's your fate. That's not how I think it works.

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
I like to believe that there is a general plan for each of us, but anyone can influence it with their decisions. For example, making the decision that you don't want to do anything anymore and that you'll just wait for everything to come to you, you shouldn't be surprised if your plan collapses. I do, however believe that things happen for a reason, a purpose. Nothing in nature is without purpose, from the smallest atom of gas to the biggest mountain. To me, it looks like purpose is the thing that gives other things life. Things can't happen without reason, without purpose.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Yes, I believe in fate. Part of fate though is that life may be mapped out in advance, but it's our choice to what degree we take control of the quality of life. In other words, I was to have an education, a marriage, a house, kids, a career, friends, etc. It was my choices however that brought about how far I took those things. That's where the brain comes in. Maybe fate is also about what kind of brain we have? I would like to think it's a gift that is wrapped with several layers and life is about slowly unwrapping what we can do with that gift.

Random9

Registered Member
This is one of those subjects where religion and philosophy inevitably tie together, but I decided to approach it from more of the perspective of the latter. Feel free to discuss both in here, though.

I have three questions on the subject for you to get things started:

1. Do you believe in fate, that everything is predetermined?
i'd rather call it determinism,but yes,i do believe the world is a same input same output sort of thing.
2. Do you believe that, as it is said, "everything happens for a reason?"
no.
3. To tie the two together, is it possible that fate exists without reason?
yes.(but again i'd rather call it determinism)

Paula

Registered Member
I don't believe in fate.
Throughout our lives we have to make decisions. And those decisions are part of our future [future, not fate]. We build it with our actions and their respective repercussions.
Be written our destiny, feelings would not have any impact, which is incompatible to be unpredictable human behavior. I mean that unpredictable behaviour of people, can't have a planned end, also because of our freedom.

I can add that there are things that happen without reason too, random facts.

ianstarboarder

Registered Member
Fate by definition defies scientific analysis. For example: a man takes a 2 vials, one with poison one withthe antidote. The poison will take 1 year before it kills him. He swallows the poison vial and at the same time drops the antidote in the middle of the ocean. He then claims if fate exists that the vial will somehow find it's way back to him. As he returns to shore a meteor strikes his boat and he dies. No matter what the outcome, even if by remarkable coincidence (and his boat wasn't struck by a meteor) the vial filled with the antidote found it's way back to him the answer will always be the same: I guess he met his fate.
However, i submit it may be fun to hold your own experiments to test fate (minus the poison filled vials). If you are single and looking for your one true love then put a note in a sealed bottle and drop it in the ocean. On the note write something like "my one true love will find this bottle. My phone number is 867-5309." If you hate your job and have a lifelong dream to be, let's just say, a rockstar then put an ad in the classifieds "looking to start a band." I'm sure you all can think of a thousand examples.