• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

do you believe in fate

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I could decide to quit my job and never leave my house again
It's not always up to you. If a strong tornado/earthquake happens in the area you live then you HAVE TO abandon your house and find another job, otherwise if you don't evacuate, you'll die.

Or, I can keep my job, or even get a better job making lots and lots of money.
Not always. Your boss says he's not satisfied with your work[and this could be just a stupid and FAKE excuse by him] and wants to replace you with someone else he's friends with. this other guy is lucky enough to be friends with your boss and as a results he takes your place at work and your boss kicks you out.
Is this something you can control? If you were friends with your boss, he probably wouldn't kick you out.

There are thousands of similar situations from our daily life that can't be controlled by us.

Hiei

The Hierophant
It's not always up to you. If a strong tornado/earthquake happens in the area you live then you HAVE TO abandon your house and find another job, otherwise if you don't evacuate, you'll die.
But that would still be my choice not to evacuate my house, thus I would have chosen death over life. That's not fate.

Not always. Your boss says he's not satisfied with your work[and this could be just a stupid and FAKE excuse by him] and wants to replace you with someone else he's friends with. this other guy is lucky enough to be friends with your boss and as a results he takes your place at work and your boss kicks you out.
Is this something you can control? If you were friends with your boss, he probably wouldn't kick you out.

There are thousands of similar situations from our daily life that can't be controlled by us.

Sure, I'll admit that there are certain things that I cannot control. But a better question would be, is it fate that I wasn't friends with my boss? Was it fate that his friend suddenly needed a job? Those are still choices. For whatever reason his friend suddenly needed a job that was his choice to not have a previous job. And if that was his first job, I could have chosen to do a better job so that I wouldn't be the one getting fired.

I'd say that fate would be something more like, a piece of debris falls out of space and falls straight on the top of my head and kills me. That's something that's so unlikely, it could probably be chalked up to fate. We have much more control over what happens in our lives than you're putting across. Yes, like I said, there are certain things that we cannot control, but we can control a hell of a lot more.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I like to believe in fate, I guess mostly because I like to believe in my head, that one day things really are going to work out in a good way. I can see how people use it to make the things that happen in life easier to cope with, and maybe I do that to a degree, but I also think that fate has a way of presenting itself in the form of options and you have to decide what to do with them.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
is it fate that I wasn't friends with my boss?
It could be just fate. You're a new worker and he's just your boss. You have never known him until you met him at the place you're working at. While the other guy has known him long ago so in this case he's luckier.
And even if you became friends with your boss, he would try to help his old friend over you.

Meeting people is one of the most important things that belongs to the FATE. You go to some places for other purposes and suddenly you meet new people. They happen to talk to you, you start to enjoy each-other's company and that's who fate met you and then YOU decided to become friends. Yes, the last one is your choice but you wouldn't have this choice if the FATE didn't give you any chance to meet your friend.

Was it fate that his friend suddenly needed a job?
No it's not fate but he's taking advantage of the fact that he knows your boss and you don't.

Yes, like I said, there are certain things that we cannot control, but we can control a hell of a lot more.
I didn't say we can't control anything but I'm not saying we can control everything either.

If you remembered everything one day before your exam and on the exam day you don't remember anything, then this would be fate. It would be your unfortunate day.
Btw, you can't decide what questions you'll be answering to, in your exam. That's just fate.

Last edited:

Hiei

The Hierophant
I think the way that I see fate is something that no person has any control over. There was a teacher that wrote those questions. There was a person that knew my boss for me. It was my bosses choice to fire me for whatever reason. That's not fate. That's just unfortunate.

Fate, to me, is something that is going to happen regardless of any outside forces. I'd rate natural disasters into being fate. But anything that has the human element is not fate, in my mind. No matter how unfortunate.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I think my opinion is fairly complicated.

I believe that Fate plays a role in a lot of things, however its not the root of everything. I enjoy the concepts of Existentialism (Your Born, You Consume, You Multiply, You Die; but what you do in between is determined by you as an individual) and believe that it is our Fate as individuals to do what we want in order to achieve life at its full potential. I take it one step further and believe that every human on the face of this Earth is Selfish.

However my definition of Selfish isn't supposed to be considered as Negative as most people initially react to it. To Me Selfishness is our fate, we strive for selfishness. If you've done anything that's made you happy then to me you're living up to my belief system and I dont blame you for it either. I honestly believe that the faster we accept this fact that Every man woman and child is in life for themselves... the better we can get along and make our goals happen in a positive way.

My mom Debated that she didn't like my concept, said that she tries her best to be as selfless as possible. I retorted with "But is the conscious act of selflessness and seeing other happy truly selfless? Or are you doing so because it makes you feel good, in which case I believe is still self serving....."

She didn't have much of a comeback to that but agreed for the most part, only saying that maybe there should just be another word for it rather than Selfish. And I said, nah, just ditch the negative connotations you have about the phrase and its fine.

But back to Selfishness and Fate. I believe that it is our Fate as humans to repeat patterns of individual selfishness that we believe make us happy. Even people that are miserable, I've been depressed before and nothing makes me happier than just being even more miserable. So the worst my day was the better I felt. Obviously I've broke that slump, but there are tons of people out there who simply aren't happy in their life unless they are miserable or people around them are miserable. In which case, even the act of pursuing unhappiness is still the twisted pursuit of Happiness through antipodean methods.

For instance work? Why the hell work, nobody truly wants to work, but everyone wants money. So we selfishly pursue money against what we want to do in order to achieve Mid to long run happiness. As most modern day humans, we are fated to fall into that grind and go to work as an Adult sometimes younger.

Suicide, why would you want to do that other than to end misery and in pursuit of happiness. Its quite possibly the most selfish act humanly possible. But in the end you're programmed by fate and nature to pursue that happiness at all means necessary.

Im with Sonni for the most part, I do not believe that every decision we make is mapped out. However I believe fate instead begins at the starting point and has an end point. How we get there doesn't matter, its just that in the end... we always get to our common fate.

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Fate, to me, is something that is going to happen regardless of any outside forces. I'd rate natural disasters into being fate. But anything that has the human element is not fate, in my mind. No matter how unfortunate.
Then the way we both define fate is different, in the first place.
To me, fate is something ONLY ME has no control over but other people have.
To you, fate is something NO HUMAN has any control over.
Fair enough.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I said this in the "destiny thread" and I'll say it again, I think your fate is what you make it. You are who you are because of your actions and your choices, not because a superior power has it all written for you. Atleast, that's the way I see it.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ehhh I think most of life happens because of how we pave it but I do think there's something to this fate thing but I won't pretend to understand it.

Too many weird things happen that I think fate exists in some sort of capacity.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I think it's a mix of both. Things we could control and things we can't. I believe in fate as a result of choices we make. Meaning, I don't think it's set for us from the start, but rather set for the choices we make. We can therefore change our fates as we go through life and makde different choices here and there.

The simplified analogy I often use is the Choose Your Own Adventure book. It's a book wherein after reading the first few pages, you are asked what is next (choose where the story will go) and then you move to that page. Everytime, you are offered choices where the story will go, until you reach the end of the story. It gives you a feeling that you're in control - and you were, in a way, but if you look at the bigger picture, the endings have been pre-written and each choice we make or the combination of it, just brings us closer to one of its definite ending.