do you believe in fate

tradtke

Registered Member
I was just thinking the other day about Fate. Its one of those odd topics. You can't prove it's right, yet you can't prove it's wrong. It's a comforting feeling thinking that there is nothing you can do to change the future, but it also brings a sense of lazyness because it may make you feel like there is nothing you can do, so why bother its already written for you. I'm not sure what i believe because I only trust things that can be proven to me. I also believe in working hard for every inch of success I have in my life so I don't let anything creep into my life that will steer my wrong.

Daemonic

Registered Member
I believe in probability, not fate.

What I mean is, the future can probably be predicted and with the right knowledge predicted very well, but I do not believe it is written.

Hissa

Registered Member
I do believe that fate plays a role in my life...but I do not believe that fate can determine everything in my life.....
I mean we should not stand still & leave everything to fate.........
We can work hard & make our own future.....

Zappa

Registered Member

What I mean is, the future can probably be predicted and with the right knowledge predicted very well, but I do not believe it is written.
I agree with this. Fate is tough to argue against. If everything we do is just a combination of nature and nurture, then everything we do is predictable. The repetitious nature of human history lends some credence to this argument. But I do believe that we have some element of free will, something inside us that can objectively separate ourselves from outside influences, and make decisions. I don't think we do it often, but I think it has been done.

There's something magic about believing in fate. I do not, but sometimes I like to think that it's all already set up, that everything is written and will happen in a precise order. I also think you can't say that you believe in it or not, it depends on the situation. You can work hard and make a lot of money, there's no fate in this, but how would you explain it when you meet your soulmate? It quite often doesn't have any link with any past deed. So what do we call it? Chance? The question would be: do you believe in fate or chance?
(I'm not sure everybody understands my poor written english haha).

Hiei

The Hierophant
I don't believe in fate. The argument that I make against fate is this. I could decide to quit my job and never leave my house again until I die of starvation because I don't have any food. Or, I can keep my job, or even get a better job making lots and lots of money. Both of those situations are something that I can make happen. Fate has no power over which choice I'd decide to make. It's all on me.

The only thing that I truly believe is fated is death. There is no escaping death. It's going to happen to us all.

Vixen

Registered Member

This ^,

Although what i believe is everything happens for a reason, but I believe it can be changed, just it would be for a different reason.

I don't believe in fate, i don't believe in anything you can't break! (Sorry a song popped in my head) That would make life too easy. We are a slave to our own life, for those who take the easy, simple, lazy approach, usually end up having 'fate' kick them in the face. As for those who work hard and play harder, the world is thier oyster :)

You can choose which path you take, for example, say i faced a t junction, one road takes me to being a nurse, the other takes me to working in the army, who said i can't do both :) Or choose one, then do the other, or whatever formation.

Hopefully you understand where i'm coming from.

Zappa

Registered Member
The argument that I make against fate is this. I could decide to quit my job and never leave my house again until I die of starvation because I don't have any food. Or, I can keep my job, or even get a better job making lots and lots of money. Both of those situations are something that I can make happen. Fate has no power over which choice I'd decide to make. It's all on me.
But what determines the decision you make? Is it outside forces, or the way you were raised, or something in your genes? Or is it truly a decision you make yourself? An argument can be made that every decision you make is completely predictable, and is based on the aggregate of outside forces that are acting on you and your nature.

But maybe I'm not getting what people mean by "fate".

Hiei

The Hierophant
But what determines the decision you make? Is it outside forces, or the way you were raised, or something in your genes? Or is it truly a decision you make yourself? An argument can be made that every decision you make is completely predictable, and is based on the aggregate of outside forces that are acting on you and your nature.

But maybe I'm not getting what people mean by "fate".

I see fate and destiny as the same thing. Something that is going to happen, regardless of anything else that happens.

So, any outside decision, the way that I was raised, something in my genes, these are all things that I would say would disprove fate because if I were meant to turn out a certain way, any other factor would be beside the point. If I were fated to become the best US President, according to fate, anything that I do will have no impact on my actually becoming a US President.

Zappa

Registered Member
I see fate and destiny as the same thing. Something that is going to happen, regardless of anything else that happens.

So, any outside decision, the way that I was raised, something in my genes, these are all things that I would say would disprove fate because if I were meant to turn out a certain way, any other factor would be beside the point. If I were fated to become the best US President, according to fate, anything that I do will have no impact on my actually becoming a US President.
Ok, I see what you mean. I was thinking of fate more along the lines of free will, or lack thereof.