• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do you believe in fate?

Aella

Registered Member
A couple of threads here tonight got me thinking about my past, something i try to avoid to be honest and i took comfort in realising that certain things happened at a time that felt wrong yet wouldn't have happened at all if i had waited.
Life is irratic, you can't dictate everything, some things happen that are beyond your control yet when you think back you see what felt like a tragedy at the time is actually a blessing.

Have you found this?and how?

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
Yes. I've never had anything major, but certain things in my life haven't gone according to plan, but because those things happened, I'm where I'm at now.

For example, I went to Colorado for my freshman year of college (lived in Utah at the time). I had originally planned to go back for the full 4 years and get a degree, but come time for my sophmore year, my parents didn't have enough money to send me back (and I didn't have the money to pay for it either), so after spending a while bummed about that, I ended up in Salt Lake. 4 months later, I met my husband. I also ended up getting my appendix out in Nov, and if I had been in Colorado for school that year, I probably would have waited too long to get to the hospital and ended up with a burst appendix and in big trouble (living in Utah I was with sisters that were smart enough to take me to the doctor when I didn't want to go myself).

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Is it like a reverse thing? Normally something happens in the future and we explain it with something that happened in the past. But there are times that something happens in the future and that gives you an explanation for why the past event had to happen (like a delayed unfolding of the rationale).

Bananas

Endangered Species
Warning; This is not a happy answer:shake:

Do you believe in fate?
There is only one fate that I believe, its quite a morbid thought but for me the only fate arrives the moment we cease to be. Life is full of too many insignificant factors, random influences and equally erratic outcomes for there to be only one chosen finale. We are blessed with the power of freewill and foresight enough to influence our destiny but we have no control over so many other forces-like chaos for example. Fate to me is equal to chance whilst removing probability.

Have you found this?and how?
There are a few personal experiences, especially ones where I have felt my own life in danger. There are also a few life changing decisions and actions I have made some within a split-second by reflex alone and others by many months of pondering.

The real deciding factor for me though happened on 26th December 2004 when I switched the TV on and I saw the news. Quarter of a million destinies but all meeting only one fate.:cry:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Yes I do. Like you said, Aella, so many things have happened to me that felt wrong at the time or that were not what I wanted, but had they worked out differently, I wouldn't be where I am now which is where I'm supposed to be.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Fate is just an excuse for people to not take responsibility for their actions.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Spoken like the Sithhead he truly is. :lol:

Fate is a strange thing..It can be both good and bad.

I can say that Fate has had hand in my life a time or two.
You can call it fate, good timing, Good life choice, call it what you will but at times it seem like you get a push from nowhere and things change, sometimes not for the immediate good, but down the road it was responsible for good things that came later.

Fate, Love it, hate it, believe in it, don't believe in it, either way it still there..

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I believe in Karma but not really fate...

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
You could say the same for a lot of things, but the bottom line is no matter how much you try to control your circumstances, things are going to happen the way they're supposed to.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think I believe in fate, but this is something I'm never sure of. My oldest brother is a priest, and he reminds me to not be so sure about coincidences! I have a similar story to kiwi...I started at the University of Missouri - Columbia as a psych major, unsure of what I wanted to do career-wise. Because of health problems, I moved back home to St. Louis. As a result, I was guided towards services that help me find social work as a perfect career choice for me. Now I'm hopefully going to end up helping a lot of people in the future. Sounds a little fate-ish to me!

Is it possible to believe in fate and a form of free will at the same time? Because that sounds like me, lol.