Do non-religious people need happy pills?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by MenInTights, Jul 28, 2010.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I was reading this: One in five Californians say they need mental health care - latimes.com

And it got me thinking that almost everyone that I know that is on some sort of non-depressant is also generally non-religious. Is this just my friends or do you think the non-religious are more likely to need psychological drugs or help? I have no facts to back up my thesis and really mean it as a serious question.

Life's a bitch sometimes. If I didn't have Jesus, I'm not sure where I would turn.

Smelnick likes this.

2. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

Religion is definitely a source of joy for some, but even those that are religious need counseling, antidepressants, etc. I don't there's an basis in fact on your theory, unfortunately...looking at it as a study, it's just a group of people that you know. It doesn't account for the religious that might be taking them and not wanting to disclose the fact, and probably doesn't carry reliability and validity with it. It's also too small of a sample to generalize. You also can't take one factor, religion, and make it the reason that someone isn't feeling depressed. Every life is too varied to attribute it to one common thread.

I personally know of both religious and nonreligious people that have used antidepressants at some point, as well as people from both that have not or choose not to.

Also, keep in mind that depression has basis in brain chemistry and hereditary factors, as well.

Smelnick likes this.
  3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I have Jesus and I'm on happy pills. Sometimes it's less about how your life is going, and more a chemical thing. Right now I'm in a situation where, although I'm happy, I'm not able to afford a diet that lends itself to better mental health. Also, my past life challenges don't help either. Also hereditary factros. Depression isn't fun, I can tell you that.

Although I don't see a correlation between lack of religion and increase in happy pill prescriptions, I can kinda see how religion makes a difference in how one handles depression. If I didn't have a love for Jesus, and a community of fellow church goers that encourage me, and always notice if I'm not coming out lots, I probably would have sunk way lower, and done a lot more harmful stuff to myself than just drink a ton.

But I guess, since I know Jesus, I never lost that hope that there was something better out there, no matter how crappy and down I felt.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Religion has quite the effect on the brain, it allows the religious folk to block out negativity by focusing on their dogma. It doesn't make religion special, anything that anyone believes that hard will bring them security and thus, happiness.

Smelnick likes this.
  5. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

I can offer this to your search...

Estonia is number 1 country in the world in non-religious people, only about 20% of all Estonians believe in any kind of religion, there is only just under 300 churches of any kind in all of Estonia. With this, I look to statistics of Americans who are primarily 76% religious and see that Estonia has *13% of its people with some kind of mental needs, while the USA has an estimated 22.1%... so I think your theory just lost its spark lol.

*EDIT

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I would say "ouch" but do you have some links or evidence to back that up, Ilus?

7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

The only thing I would like to point out is the comparison between religious and non-religious people in the US would be a much more fair comparison than between people in general in the US and people in general in Estonia. There are way too many variables comparing the two countries the biggest of course would be the size of the population.

8. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

To be honest, if there is any correlation between less happy pills and more religious people, it's because of the fact that lots of religious people won't take happy pills. They just figure they are depressed because they aren't praying enough, or there is some sin in their life. So they pray more and fast etc, not go to the doctor and get happy pills. Religion doesn't make them not need it, it just makes them not take them.

9. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

Yes, and sorry my numbers for USA were wrong... it is closer to 26% lol. Also I mean to type 13% for Estonia, not 3%, I will fix this now, it was typing mistake.

I can not find link to the web for Estonia... is price for living in small country lol. I am looking in Estonian Health Journal for this 13%. I have seen comparisons for percentages for mental health in Europe but all of these I see do not have Estonia listed, but the surrounding countries are similar in numbers except the UK and Spain that were very much higher.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/statistics/index.shtml

10. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm trying really hard not to be insulted by this or resent you for it, but it's not easy. I see what you're getting at, as far as your statement that if you didn't have Jesus, you don't know where you'd be, but you're completely wrong.

I'm the only non-religious (which is not to say non-spiritual, mind you) person in my family, and I'm also the only one who hasn't been on some type of pscyhotropic meds on a regular basis.