• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do negative social issues in lyrics stop you from listening?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I ask this because there is a bit of a controversy in Australia right now with US rapper, "Tyler The Creator". Several women's rights and violence against women groups tried to cancel his shows here due to his heavy themes of misogyny and lyrics that glorify violence against women.

I'd never actually heard of this guy before, or any of his songs, so I went looking through some of his lyrics to see what the fuss was about.

From the song 'Tron Cat'

"I fuck bitches with no permission and tend to hate shit"
"Victim, victim, honey you're my fifth one"
"Rape a pregnant bitch and tell my friends I had a threesome"

From the song 'French'

"In my basement, and keep that bitch locked up in my storage
Rape her and record it, then edit it with more shit"

Now that's just a couple of lyrics from two of his songs, and when I found this to say I was shocked is an understatement. I now know why the women's groups didn't want him to perform here. These lyrics aren't subtle, they are very forward in talking about rape and violence towards women. In fact, I'm having trouble understanding why this guy is allowed to perform in any country.

Now, I know a lot of people say that people aren't that easily brainwashed by lyrics and don't actually do the things they listen to. This is true in most cases, yet as I speak the police are investigating two cases of sexual assault that happened at just one of Tyler's shows in this country.

And in this video, fans actually cheer on as he verbally abuses one of the women who was campaigning against him during a show.

[youtube]ModFCEJaRlk[/youtube]

I have to note, that even if his lyrics were not supposed to be taken literally, it's hard to downplay these real violent threats to a woman on stage, a woman who happened to be in the audience while this was happening. (It is not known whether he knew she was there or not).

Basically, what I'm asking is do you think the lyrics in songs should be seen as more important? Would you listen to a song that glorifies something like rape and violence against women, even though you are against it? Do you think it's okay that rappers like this are allowed to perform and even attack women whilst on stage in such a manner?

I personally would love it if this idiot never came back to this country. I'm sad that he was allowed to perform here to begin with, and I hope that the two girls sexually assaulted his show are recovering.

Police probe into assault at US rapper's gig

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I tend to not even listen to music with much milder misogyny. I find it rather disgusting, and there are tons of great songs that don't have any of that BS. In fact, for something that bad, I'd probably go as far as to specifically boycott anything that artist releases, even if it doesn't have misogynistic lyrics

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I actually read some comments online by fans of his saying that his lyrics are supposed to be funny. I may have an old fashioned way of thinking but... when did rape become funny?

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Tyler The Creator is a fucking moron in his own right, he is the Janoskians of USA or wherever he is from.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I actually read some comments online by fans of his saying that his lyrics are supposed to be funny. I may have an old fashioned way of thinking but... when did rape become funny?
I agree, that isn't funny at all. I've never heard of this guy and no, I would never listen to "music" (if you can call it that) that glorifies this kind of behavior. Does it brainwash people into acting out his lyrics? Maybe not but I think it adds to the mindset of society in general that turns things like rape into something funny. In other words overall it has a negative impact on the thinking of society in general, in my opinion. We become less human by accepting these things as something that should be glorified.

dDave

V.I.P.
I agree, that isn't funny at all. I've never heard of this guy and no, I would never listen to "music" (if you can call it that) that glorifies this kind of behavior. Does it brainwash people into acting out his lyrics? Maybe not but I think it adds to the mindset of society in general that turns things like rape into something funny. In other words overall it has a negative impact on the thinking of society in general, in my opinion. We become less human by accepting these things as something that should be glorified.
I agree fully.

It's stuff like this that desensitizes people to things that really are bad. Rape isn't funny, neither is any other sexual humor but society in general seems to be almost focused on it now. I honestly cannot see things like this going downhill much more than they already have.

When you get people used to hearing bad things for no reason the actual thing doesn't have the same impact.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I really don't see how lyrics talking about rape and violence against women can be considered funny. Any violent act against anyone for that matter. Music like this I would not ever be interested in listening to.

I wonder if the women assaulted at the concert will sue him.

I found this article today about Tyler the Creator. Man that guy seems like a douche. I can't believe they let him play to all ages shows.

US Rapper Tyler The Creator unleashes a torrent of hate on Sydney activist
I think his dedication of his song to the Sydney activist should be taken as a threat. If someone hurts her because of this I think charges should be filed against him. The man is a creep.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have also not heard of this guy or indeed his songs but from the lyrics you have put on here Crou I feel one things for him: Pity

I am not going to lie, I listen to music that has lyrics that from a social stand point are very offensive, acts like the NWA, Dr Dre, Kanye West etc etc but I don't think they even touch what this moron is putting out there. I feel pity for him because he clearly doesn't have anything to say for himself, his talent I would question and he is looking for shock value in his words and in his rymes and honestly I don't think that is impressive, people like the NWA and Kanye said and say what they do to make a point, this Tyler Fella seem to just not care, I have just read this on wikipedia:

Tyler has been criticized for his use of homophobic slurs, in particular, his frequent use of the epithet faggot in his lyrics and on Twitter. He has denied accusations of homophobia, stating, "I'm not homophobic. I just say faggot and use gay as an adjective to describe stupid shit," and, "I'm not homophobic. I just think faggot hits and hurts people."However, he later said in an interview with MTV about the slurs, "Well, I have gay fans and they don't really take it offensive, so I don't know. If it offends you, it offends you. If you call me a nigger, I really don't care, but that's just me, personally. Some people might take it the other way; I personally don't give a shit." Despite making several remarks that were taken as homophobic, Tyler, The Creator was the first to openly show support for fellow Odd Future member Frank Ocean along with Russell Simmons after Ocean revealed he had a relationship with another young man
I just say faggot and use gay as an adjective to describe stupid shit

Oh well that's okay then, as long as it is an adjective and not being offensive I guess it is okay

I just think faggot hits and hurts people

So he knows this but keeps on saying it? Woah, that's mature...

Iris

rainbow 11!
Yeah, I wouldn't listen to that shit. When it comes to stuff like that and anything religious "praise our glorious king he has risen" shit that like makes me want to stick a hot poker in my ears.