Do guns deter crime?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, Jun 12, 2007.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Statistics show that 1 in 3 households in America have a gun.

Would you, being a burglar want to trust your life to a 1 in 3 chance?

I wouldn't. I think a burglar might think the same. Thus detering a crime.

Thoughts?

2. ChinUp

ChinUp ¤ Breathe

We have a thread already for this topic ..

Bottom line if you want a gun for private security .. you are entering into a loop of fear .. the only reason you want a gun for personal security is because of people who own a gun under the pretense of private security .. if it wasn't for people who wanted to own a gun for private reasons nobody would want to own a gun for private reasons .. its a snake biting its own tail .. fed by fear & a general lack of trust in your community ..

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin | 1706 - 1790

When will people realize that wanting a gun for personal use creates a climate of distrust .. there will always be people who use guns for criminal purpose if they are able to own them under the pretense of private security ..

You are making the problem worse .. contributing to the problem that you use to justify owning a firearm ..

The only solution to gun related crime is to prevent people from being able to own firearms for private security .. keep guns in organized lock ups .. in professional control environments set up for training & hunting .. & out of public circulation ..

"For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security." | Thomas Jefferson | 1743-1826

3. Mr. Mustafa

Mr. Mustafa Terrorist

Yes, because if I were so compelled to break into somebodies house, I'd have a weapon and some body armour. I would first proceed in subduing the man of the house, then the family, then I would take what I was looking for. But that's me, I plan ahead...

4. pro2A

You would have a tactical dis-advantage busting down the door, breaking the window etc... would wake up the family inside. You'd get in the house and have a gun trained on you.

Now you the burglar being armed and wearing armor are at the mercy of this armed citizen who has a gun trained on your head.

Most body armor only stops smaller rounds. If he has a shotgun, .50 Cal, pretty much any hunting rifle .223 cal and higher at close range trained on you you're toast.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk.

5. Mr. Mustafa

Mr. Mustafa Terrorist

Buckshot is defeated by level IIIa vests, which are lightweight, concealable under regular clothing (though you may want to wear a light jacket just to make sure), and can be fitted with a strike plate, which ups the ballistic protection. I couldn't see a .50 cal being usefull in close quarter conditions though, the Barret rifle is about as long as I am tall, the most likely weapon to come up against would be a large frame revolver or semi-automatic pistol, .38 special on up to .44 magnum, because they're more affordable than long guns, easily concealed in a drawer or under the bed in a gun safe, etc., and they're powerfull. Even with the vest, the blunt trauma would knock the breath out of me.

I wouldn't do it, but if I HAD to, I would do a silent entry, or just wait until there's nobody home. You stated somewhere that you want to be police officer, I believe that you'll find many criminals are very intelligent, my brother being one of the smart ones.

It's a heads up, because the minute you under-estimate the criminal element
    is the minute you could wind up KIA

6. tipsycatlover

tipsycatlover Registered Member

When the guy who tried to break into my house was confronted by my little "snuffy" stuck up his nose, he ran. He was armed, because criminals will always be armed. But he was so surprised by being confronted when he thought he was breaking into a home where there was only one woman and her alone at that, he ran.

When a group of "gardeners" smashed down the back door of the home down the street, they thought the cancer stricken woman there would be too weak to fight back when they had machetes. She had a .45 and shot two. One got away and two others were caught.

Guns deter crime. It is a fact. Now, I don't particularly care how trusting you want to be. Don't legislate trust for the rest of us.

You should think about that quote and what it means. If you give up your liberty, the liberty to protect yourself, to gain what you think is a temporary safety, that everyone else is doing the same thing. You would be wrong. The liberty you are giving up is security in your own home, the right to walk the streets in safety, the right to drive your car where you want to. What is an essential liberty and who is depriving you of that liberty. For sure, the criminal element will have all the guns they want. If necessary they will make them.

Chicago made the housing projects free zones. No one was allowed to have a firearm on the project premises. The resulting bloodbath made the city change that rule. We all know how safe Virginia Tech was. Had ONE person on that campus been armed, 32 people would not be dead today. Contrast that with the Utah mall shooter who was removed by ONE armed man.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. In the land of the helpless, the man with a gun makes the rules and incidentally owns everything, including you.

7. Yes, I believe guns DO deter crime. If I were a criminal, I would think twice before breaking and entering. Where I live, a LOT of people own guns. Murders are low here, mostly petty crimes and drug-related crimes. Most burglaries here happen when there is noone home, so you know the house was probably cased, and the owners schedules monitored. That's where having a LARGE doberman probably helps. I know if anyone were to break into my home, they might get some of my stuff, but my dog would take a large chunk out of THEM. :yes:

I will never be weaponless again.

8. pro2A

My point is why make the effort when I can go to DC and rob a house that I know is unarmed. If I were in rural farm America, and I came up to a house with a old rusted pickup truck parked out front and a confederate flag hanging in the window I would think twice about entering that house.

That’s part of the reason I have an alarm system. Someone pops open a window and I know.

Criminals may be smart, but they will more then likely get caught. I mean even the smartest criminals do. Ted Bundy, John Allen Muhammad, Ed Gain, Al Capone etc...

Its would only be a mater of time before they enter that wrong house with a Doberman, an alarm system or one with an agitated owner with a shotgun.

9. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I wonder how many more guns are used in the comission of crimes than the number of crimes guns deter?

I'm guessing there are probably more armed robberies and murders by gunshot every year than there are homeowners/business owners defending themselves with a gun against an intruder.

I'm just sayin.

10. tipsycatlover

tipsycatlover Registered Member

Overall, there are more instances of self defense than crimes committed with a gun. However, if you examine only various gun free areas you will find far more crimes using a firearm than homeowners using a firearm in self defense. Which only makes sense. If there are laws against guns, all the law abiding people will obey that law. It's easy pickings for any enterprising criminal.