Do Good and Evil Exist?

Do Good and Evil Exist?

• Total voters

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
This came up in another thread and I thought I'd make a new thread for the discussion.

Are there such things as good and evil, or is it all simply in the eye of the beholder? Why or why not?

As far as I'm concerned there is definitely both good and evil in the world. Motives do a lot to determine whether something is good or evil. For example, killing is not always evil. If somebody kills an innocent person to steal their car or wallet, for example, they are evil. If somebody else interferes and kills the would be murderer and saves the innocent, that person just did good.

This same principle applies to war, the death penalty and a whole host of other scenarios. Far too often I hear the argument "We shouldn't stoop to their level". Take that phrase and apply it to death penalty arguments. Stooping to their level often times would mean going on a serial killing rampage of innocent people. Taking a serial killer out of the picture is NOT the same as killing innocent people. It's a good thing.

Thoughts? Do good and evil exist, or are both terms simply in the eye of the beholder?

Lesley

Registered Member
I think good and evil do exist, but are exclusive to human beings....and I agree that good and evil are subjective...not black and white.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Good and Evil do not exist. What does exist is morality, but - and it's a big but - morality only exists in the mind of the individual. To say that Good or Evil exist is to suggest that they exist as a force - meaning a metaphysical entity; this is where the idea of God and Satan, or the Word and the Void, and lord knows how many other ideas come into play.

Absolute Good and Absolute Evil cannot exist without a metaphysical presence. They can't, it's not possible. So, it's all based on what you as the individual believes is morally just. For instance; you might think a cat killing a mouse is perfectly fine and natural - another may think it's evil and wrong. (That example may be a little extreme but it's the simplest example I can be bothered to think of.)

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Yes, I believe in good and evil, in the context of morality as defined by the majority of humans; however, I believe that both are extremely rare.

Evil defined as "a desire to do nothing but harm," and good defined as "a desire to escape the fatal egocentrism that rules all human decision."

Last edited:
It can't not exist. The very fact that we are "thinking things" amongst a physical universe and have the idea of good and evil necessitates the existence of such things. Otherwise, what are we talking about?

Bananas

Endangered Species
Good and Evil are little more than conceptions of our own subjective moral values.

For instance you(Hybrix) have tried to say that the death penalty is good, yet I abhor the death penalty and think any killing of one human of an other is inherently evil. So if good and evil do exist, who is good an who is evil, you or I?

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'm sorta surprised that we've gotten to a point in society where we even question the existence of good and evil. If I kill someone for no reason on a crowded street, that will be seen as evil by all that see it. It doesn't matter if I do it in New York, London or Tokyo or if I do it in the year 2009, 1900 or 1800. If good and evil were subjective, there wouldn't be such a universal understanding.

btw - Glad you are back FTS

Chaos, I'm going to direct this reply toward you and only you to emphasize a point.

You believe that inherent good and evil do not exist. So, you believe that, were I to whimsically murder you with absolutely no good reason whatsoever, this act of murder is completely and 100% NOT inherently and absolutely wrong, it's simply wrong in your mind and most other people's minds, probably because it disadvantages you.... for all eternity. But the act itself is not actually wrong because remember: nothing is absolutely good or evil.

In short, your username describes the state of men without the presence of good and evil.
------
BTW... I was always here, just reading instead of typing for a while...

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
You believe that inherent good and evil do not exist. So, you believe that, were I to whimsically murder you with absolutely no good reason whatsoever, this act of murder is completely and 100% NOT inherently and absolutely wrong, it's simply wrong in your mind and most other people's minds, probably because it disadvantages you.... for all eternity. But the act itself is not actually wrong because remember: nothing is absolutely good or evil.

In short, your username describes the state of men without the presence of good and evil.
I think it would be hard to find someone who murders without reason, it's nearly impossible to not have some reason, even if it is a disturbing or weak one.

Also, you're falsely associating wrongness with evilness. That's like calling a five year old evil for misspelling "cake".

Good and evil exist, but they are not definite terms. They vary from person to person. There is no such thing as good or evil in nature, good and evil is an concept constructed by man.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Chaos, I'm going to direct this reply toward you and only you to emphasize a point.
Fair enough.

Yes, that's correct. It's not evil because evil does not exist outside the personal views of the individual. I would think it wrong, and I'm sure many others would think it wrong - but who say's it is evil? There is a difference in 'wrong' and 'evil', just as there is a difference between 'right' and 'good'. There is no universal set rule for what is good and what is evil, no giant lettering in the sky to say "That's evil!" when you commit something deemed to be evil. There's only the judgement of the beholder.

That's simply not true in the slightest. Chaos can be achieved through many, many means. In fact, personally I don't think your statement here makes any coherent sense at all.

Constantine said:
There is no such thing as good or evil in nature, good and evil is an concept constructed by man.
Thus, it does not tangibly exist. It's literally a fabrication of Humanity.