• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Do Desktop Icons Hinder Performance?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've heard mixed answers to this question. Does having a ton of desktop icons slow your PC a bit? I realize it would slow it down during the boot up process but what about after that?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
My husband says it does, but I think he just doesn't want the clutter. I save a lot of my files on my desktop (temporarily) until I figure out later which folders I want them to go to.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I was told a long time ago that they do hinder boot up but not overall performance. That was by the IT guy fixing one of my families computers because he saw my dads 8 million icons. I always figured that was true

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Doesn't seem like they would do anything to be honest with you. I just use RocketDock anyways, eliminates any possible problem.

R1pperZ

Registered Member
I don't see why shortcut icons would slow your cpu other than a little at startup. I've never had more than 15-20 since I hate shortcut icons but still doubt it affects your processor that much.

ATARIGUY

Beermister
I think that they do hinder boot up but not overall performance.

However any icon or icons next to the clock are running tasks/programs and that will slow down your computer alot

Bananas

Endangered Species
I can't see how desktop icons could affect a computers performance other than at start-up.

The Desktop is not that unique, in reality its just a folder with a background picture! Any performance issues would be insignificantly small. You can see the changes from within task manager as you click through folders.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
However any icon or icons next to the clock are running tasks/programs and that will slow down your computer alot
Oh trust me I know. :lol:

And the reason I ask is because I have about 300 desktop icons.. :shocked:

Blueyes

Registered Member
I despise desktop icons and clear them all out except the trash can. I like seeing my wallpaper but that's just me and my obsessive need to keep things tidy